Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

American Leather Co. has the current Big Deal yesterday or today, and the vendor said they are also sourced all in America, 

Please look at the product page for the American Leather Co. Big Deal @Caaareful Shopper.. It states the item is imported.

https://www.qvc.com/American-Leather-Co-Kansas-Leather-Crossbody-with-Coin-Purse.product.A394633.htm...

@NYCLatinaMe  Yes, I see that also.  However, the vendor said the tannery is just outside Albany, NY, and "all bags are crafted from leather sourced in the US." 

Perhaps the metal is imported?  Or, all the materials are USA, but they export them for the labor?  I don't know.  

American Leather Co. Kansas Leather Crossbody with Coin Purse - QVC.com

Their legal disclosure is "imported", so they are not manufactured in the U.S.  You wrote now that the rep stated the "leather sourced in the US".  That just means the animals are grown and slaughtered in the US, and the leathers sent elsewhere for the manufacture of the bags.  Not something to brag about exactly.

@NYCLatinaMe  I posted what they said.  It is confusing, and potentially misleading.  Like I said, I wondered if it meant they export the American leather out of the country for actual manufacture.  It seems the American Leather Co. is mis-bragging(??)

Esteemed Contributor

I think most of us would enjoy seeing regular "Made in America" shows—they could try having a weekly hour with all kinds of rotating themes, from fashion to jewelry to kitchen items to home decor to toys (and more). There are certainly enough products to support an approach like this, and I think if the Q saw how popular it was, they might find more options for promoting and selling American-made goods.

(All that said, I have no problem purchasing items not made in America if they are made well and responsibly—the country of origin is never a guarantee of quality, originality, or durability. It is great to "shop local," but it is also important to realize that the bottom line of a large corporation/retailer isn't always going to be able to provide that support, so it's up to us to voice our opinions and speak with our wallets. Oh, darn, I guess that means even more shopping at even more places...  Smiley Wink )

Esteemed Contributor

Why not start slow with products that they know are made in America?  It would have to be a show where a number of items would be sold.  In other words, it wouldn't be themed.

I guess some of us waiting for those US jobs to come roaring back like we were promised.  It's been difficult since the pandemic.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

American Leather Co. has the current Big Deal yesterday or today, and the vendor said they are also sourced all in America, 

Please look at the product page for the American Leather Co. Big Deal @Caaareful Shopper.. It states the item is imported.

https://www.qvc.com/American-Leather-Co-Kansas-Leather-Crossbody-with-Coin-Purse.product.A394633.htm...

@NYCLatinaMe  Yes, I see that also.  However, the vendor said the tannery is just outside Albany, NY, and "all bags are crafted from leather sourced in the US." 

Perhaps the metal is imported?  Or, all the materials are USA, but they export them for the labor?  I don't know.  

American Leather Co. Kansas Leather Crossbody with Coin Purse - QVC.com

Their legal disclosure is "imported", so they are not manufactured in the U.S.  You wrote now that the rep stated the "leather sourced in the US".  That just means the animals are grown and slaughtered in the US, and the leathers sent elsewhere for the manufacture of the bags.  Not something to brag about exactly.

@NYCLatinaMe who is bragging about how leather bags are made?  The hides do go through whatever process it has to for the desired results.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset QVC is promoting the bags as being made from American leather.  That is what I meant by "bragging."

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@gertrudecloset QVC is promoting the bags as being made from American leather.  That is what I meant by "bragging."

I guess that means they are lying then @NYCLatinaMe .  Still, the treatment of leather hides are controversial for those who don't like leather products and that's what your post was leaning toward "disparaging" others who would prefer leather.  You said their growing, slaughtering isn't something to brag about.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I guess that means they are lying then @NYCLatinaMe .  Still, the treatment of leather hides are controversial for those who don't like leather products and that's what your post was leaning toward "disparaging" others who would prefer leather.  You said their growing, slaughtering isn't something to brag about.  

No @gertrudecloset I am not accusing anyone of lying, the name of the company is misleading, and a poster was misled into thinking the product was made in the USA, and I addressed this in one of the posts above.  Maybe you didn't read the whole thread.  

There is no need for you to re-interpret my posts.

Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Made in America

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

No @gertrudecloset I am not accusing anyone of lying, the name of the company is misleading, and a poster was misled into thinking the product was made in the USA, and I addressed this in one of the posts above.  Maybe you didn't read the whole thread.  

There is no need for you to re-interpret my posts.

Thanks

@NYCLatinaMe 

@NYCLatinaMe   

Yes,  I did the read the whole thread.  Your comment read like a "put down" for either those who like leather or because the company uses leather by (raising cattle, slaughtering them and tanning the hides for their merchandise).  Thus, your reason for saying that's not something to brag about.

Do unto others @NYCLatinaMe ......

Honored Contributor

The U.S. is no longer a manufacturing country. Sure, some things are made here but most are using imported parts. Nothing will change until tax laws change for businesses that moved overseas.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

The U.S. is no longer a manufacturing country. Sure, some things are made here but most are using imported parts. Nothing will change until tax laws change for businesses that moved overseas.

The fact that most products consumer are manufactured overseas is not because of the tax laws.  The United States does not tax the manufacture of products.  It is just cheaper to manufacture overseas, specially because of the cost of labor.  But maintaining some manufacturing in the United States is good for our national security, as evidenced. by the shortages of critical supplies we experienced recently.  We couln't find anyone that could manufacture PPE in the U.S. at any price!!!  That was insane.