Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Be Creative I Would Like To Suggest That Qvc Offers New Formats For Shows!

@Annabellethecat66 ..................I respectfully disagree with your African American friends.  I see women of color on the beauty shows that I have watched.  And vendors and host frequently saying this is for all skin colors and hair textures.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Re: Let's Be Creative I Would Like To Suggest That Qvc Offers New Formats For Shows!

I'd love to see "retro" shows.....repos of vintage clothing, record players, radios, clocks, watches, holiday decor..,,,go to Vermont Country Store for ideas.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I am African American and just because a vendor/host says this is for all skin colors, that is not correct. They are trying to sell a product. Usually we get 2 shades of foundations: tan & deep. I would like to see more shades available for AA. 

Honored Contributor

Why not target GenX? That generation is starting to get a bit long in the tooth now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@DJs mom ........Ok,  I can appreciate that.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

QVC is an online department store. What you find in a store you will see here. I think that they have a good idea of what people will buy online. I wish they would sell more everyday clothing intead of all "fashion" stuff that costs a bundle even though it was put together in China by some poor person getting paid a couple of cents and hour!

Trusted Contributor

I'd like to see another 50 in 50 tour if the Q could pull it off as beautifully as the first one some 25 (?) years ago. It must have cost them a fortune, but if they do it, I will be there for every show. Hey, even a remote from NYC or CA would be fun again.

dee

Frequent Contributor

I really do appreciate our  comments.  I did not see this show you mentioned.  I hope they continue this type of show with other themes.  Thank you

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

QVC had been selling to the Boomer and Silent Generation age group, what they were most likely to buy; however, they are targeting millennials now.

Millennials are not into football, so tailgating generally would not be of interest; although, QVC does sell NFL clothing.

I was reading about them the other day on Money.

They are interested in athleisure clothing and sneakers.  They are into exercise, but do not use clubs, might be interested in hiking, but it's not something many people do.

Spending on handbags has significantly decreased. Millennials prefer backpacks.  They are not interested in high end designers.  Less likely to wear high heels and dressy clothing.  

One of their trends is shopping thrift stores where they can buy clothing for $10.  They don't have the money to buy new clothing.  

They're more likely to rent than buy a house because they like the idea of mobility, so they woudn't buy many household items that weigh them down.

They don't drink coffee or carbonated beverages, there goes the Keurig.  It's water in reusable metal containers.  

They aren't cooking or eat out.  They are more likely to order meals in.

These are just increasing trends.  It doesn't mean all of them are following the trends.  So, if your sons, daughters, and grandchildren (19-34) aren't like this, it doesn't mean others are not.

The trend is not getting married or waiting until their 30's, then not having children. Currently 42% of the younger folks say they want children compared to 78% in the 1990's.  

Their lifestyles are totally different than generations before them that will significantly change products offered in the near future.  

I have been seeing changes in products offered on QVC.  Increased athleisure clothing, jeans, sneakers, and offering backpacks.  I have seen metal water bottles.

QVC is using themes, beauty, electronics, gardening, seasonal decor, jewelry, food, kitchen appliances, etc, but evidently doesn't think others are worthy of attention.  

@Foxxee 

Very true.  But their new target audience generally does not watch television.  They do the majority of their shopping online.  To say that the QVC website and ordering process is not exactly reliable and/or dependable is probably an understatement.  That group also likes to get their orders immediately (if not sooner!😄), and the Q falls "a bit" short in that department too.  Not to mention finding products that appeal to the group in the first place.

Right now, QVC is not satisfying its reliable established customers nor are they appealing to a younger generation.  It's not a problem that is exclusive to QVC, as most retailers are struggling now.  They do need to decide on a viable strategy and stick with it for a while.  This constant upheaval is not helpful.

If they can't find a way to appeal to more people than they are now and be efficient in the process, I fear they also are doomed for eventual failure.  I'd hate to see that happen.

Valued Contributor

What about cutting product presentations in half? No need to spend 10 minutes talking about a cotton shirt. This would eliminate the useless banter that most of us don't really like, hosts could focus on the details of an item, and move on quickly to the next product. This would give viewers a better selection of the items they sell online and allow less time for hosts to go off on detours.