Regular Contributor

I am sure this won't get posted, but I have to say whoever is hiring and fireing hosts needs his or her head examined. Antonella, Nancy, best of the best. Your new hires are hard to watch and listen to. Giggly and not giving info makes me turn them off. What are you thinking.I won"t name them, but if you watch at all you will know who I mean.

Honored Contributor

@brcala 

I'm sure that QVC uses 'sales' criteria to determine which hosts stay and which ones go, according to how sales go during their presentations.

As demonstrated often on these forums, some people love some hosts that others dislike for a myriad of reasons.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

What I find fascinating is why QVC hires hosts who use their position to launch a soap opera about their lives, philosophies, etc. during their time on air. I usually change the channel right away when they are on, but sometimes its such a train wreck I keep watching. And yet HSN has pros on who provide ample information about their products and stick to the job at hand. That is why I am buying more from HSN than QVC now.

Respected Contributor

In sales, it's all about the numbers. 'Liking' a host doesn't matter.

Esteemed Contributor

"Liking" a host absolutely matters,  if one's liking translates into a sale.  

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

What I find fascinating is why QVC hires hosts who use their position to launch a soap opera about their lives, philosophies, etc. during their time on air. I usually change the channel right away when they are on, but sometimes its such a train wreck I keep watching. And yet HSN has pros on who provide ample information about their products and stick to the job at hand. That is why I am buying more from HSN than QVC now.

I don't watch that much hsn so can't really say much regarding how "professional" the hosts are compared to the Q.   I will say though that they have their share of annoying salespeople.  Shannon being one. I find her hard to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

HSN hosts are consummate professionals.  They very, very rarely veer into personal life diatribes unless they absolutely relate to the item being presented. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

HSN hosts are consummate professionals.  They very, very rarely veer into personal life diatribes unless they absolutely relate to the item being presented. 

---------------------------------------------

I tend to agree with youl.

Lately I've tuned into HSV a few times to get a "shoppng" fix since QVC has been selling stuff / hosts / venders I'm not interested in.  

Not crazy about what HSN's selling - but at least there's no theatrics!

I

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I agree with your idea.  I think the hosts are coached by the-powers-that-be to develop some sort of routine to make the viewers love them, or at least relate to them.  That's why we have the super casual way of dressing (close to being just plain sloppy), the sprawling all over the furniture, the feet up on the furniture,  the cutesy little gimmicks and stories and personal information (TMI, again in my opinion), the put-the-glasses-on, take-the-glasses-off routine, the hair looking uncombed, the girls-just-want to-have-fun banter---on and on and on.  The trouble is, many of the hosts don't really give the customers enough information to make a good decision to purchase an item or not.  It seems like some hosts have not gone along with the philosophy, but with the firings in the host's roster over the last few months, their jobs may be in jeopardy. 

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@Johnnyeager 

I agree with your idea.  I think the hosts are coached by the-powers-that-be to develop some sort of routine to make the viewers love them, or at least relate to them.  That's why we have the super casual way of dressing (close to being just plain sloppy), the sprawling all over the furniture, the feet up on the furniture,  the cutesy little gimmicks and stories and personal information (TMI, again in my opinion), the put-the-glasses-on, take-the-glasses-off routine, the hair looking uncombed, the girls-just-want to-have-fun banter---on and on and on.  The trouble is, many of the hosts don't really give the customers enough information to make a good decision to purchase an item or not.  It seems like some hosts have not gone along with the philosophy, but with the firings in the host's roster over the last few months, their jobs may be in jeopardy. 

I agree!  I hardly ever watch qvc anymore.  Only if I have an interest in what they are pushing, and then it is only for a short time.  HSN hosts are completely different.  They sell.  Qvc hosts yammer on and on, acting silly while wearing pajamas and being annoying.  Mostly I check stuff for sale right here.