Valued Contributor

Re: Kerstin's crass language At the dinner hour

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Does no one grasp the significance that the words poop and poo are used on these forums all the time by posters, as they are far preferable to the most common term, which would not be allowed. The moderators don’t delete these posts as being offensive. And of course as has already been mentioned, they sell Poo-Pourri.

Would doo-doo be qually as offensive? How about wee-wee? Apparently no reference whatsoever to bodily functions is preferred by some.

I would think that, since QVC sells in the 21st C, the solution for those so affected is to simply not watch QVC. Because I seriously doubt that QVC will get on Kerstin’s case for using this word. And probably has the moderators cracking up.

Does one not grasp its more likely the expression and not the use of the word poop that bothered the op?

Why not just leave it at "scare the children"

I'm pretty sure no one was traumatized by the word the op was simply making a point that it really wasn't necessary in that presentation -something Kerstin has a habit of doing-OVERDOING

Valued Contributor

I am guessing by the responses the use of some expressions are ok anywhere -

Generally there are considered appropriate places for certain expressions

TV channel shopping generally not an accepted one all things considered

Would you say that in a job interview? To someone else's or even your own child?

Its like Kerstin talking about peeing herself -is it really necessry as a host to say that ?

She's not out with a group of friends

And considering what people are "offended" by these days and THATS ok why go after the op?

Of course its not the end of the world but it doesn't make look her any better -

and it am sure it added NOTHING to the presentation

She's either trying too hard or she's lacks a certain maturity it seems much of the time

Respected Contributor

I am not going to read each of the replies because I am on my way to work.   But I wanted to stop by and say this just must be a joke!  The phrase or the word, whichever I can't even imagine being offended.  Just too too funny.

Valued Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I am not going to read each of the replies because I am on my way to work.   But I wanted to stop by and say this just must be a joke!  The phrase or the word, whichever I can't even imagine being offended.  Just too too funny.

and you are berating someone else? Really?

Nothing like a drive by .......

Honored Contributor

I understand the OP's intent completely.  I believe that many are missing the point she was trying to make.  

Honored Contributor

In case anyone doesn't know the difference between a host who can complete full sentences without slang, without a word salad, without made up words, try watching Valerie Parr Hill and Jayne Brown last night on the holiday show or any show.

I can't compliment them enough for such a pleasant show.  

No squealing, no slang, no made up words, no cutesy LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME.

I've been skipping Kerstin's shows for quite a while, I just don't understand why she is still  there yet they fire Alex for doing the same thing.   

Honored Contributor

@Fair Lady wrote:

Hi @Sooner Thanks for your advice. The thing is I am out in the world every day working at a profession where I can honestly say nobody uses language like that. My friends don't talk like that either. But I can see from the reaction of so many people that this kind of language is more common than I realized. 

@Fair Lady

i am also out in the world everyday. up until the last two years when my kids were in school i could go into a high school and hear MUCH worse coming from kids walking down the hallways....it isnt much different now that they are on a college campus.  i am in a profession where the language that i hear is much worse than the word "poop."......with many other words also being said or yelled. i am the odd one out in my business.

i have friends that use bad language sometimes and i have friends that NEVER use bad language.

the word "poop" isnt even a blip on my radar in the grand scheme of things.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Fair Lady wrote:

Hi @Sooner Thanks for your advice. The thing is I am out in the world every day working at a profession where I can honestly say nobody uses language like that. My friends don't talk like that either. But I can see from the reaction of so many people that this kind of language is more common than I realized. 

@Fair Lady

i am also out in the world everyday. up until the last two years when my kids were in school i could go into a high school and hear MUCH worse coming from kids walking down the hallways....it isnt much different now that they are on a college campus.  i am in a profession where the language that i hear is much worse than the word "poop."......with many other words also being said or yelled. i am the odd one out in my business.

i have friends that use bad language sometimes and i have friends that NEVER use bad language.

the word "poop" isnt even a blip on my radar in the grand scheme of things.

I think thats true for most people however this wasn't  in the grand scheme of things -

no one was comparing it to bigger problems simply calling it out for what is was-unnecesary and crass for a show host during a presentation of a non poop related item!

Valued Contributor

and by that logic any word is ok -like the F word its tossed around commonly

afterall its a just a word right? and everybody does it too so whats the big deal

I'm sure her kids have heard that too right? So would it have been ok if that word substituted by Kersten and just as appropriate and if not why not then?

all just words everyone hears all the time .....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I do think the OP may have been a little on the dramatic side about this, I do think what Kerstin said was unprofessional. 

I hear and see a lot of stuff out in the real world everyday.  It doesn't mean that any of it is okay for a tv shopping channel.  And just because we do hear and see worse, much, much worse, that doesn't mean we have to lower our expectations of what is acceptable on a TV SHOPPING CHANNEL.

Some of you have totally missed the point of what the OP is saying, whether you agree with her or not.