Honored Contributor

Re: Kerstin's crass language At the dinner hour

Sounds like many posters would prefer to have the host use a script. No more speaking off the cuff. Just state the facts of the product and nothing else. And... They could all wear the same uniforms, like a waiter and waitress so we don't have to see to much skin. 

What do you think? Would that help viewers to not be offended?

Because, there are more and more posts of viewers being upset and offended over a shopping channel. I don't get it, but then, I don't let things bother me very often.

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Fair Lady wrote:

Hi @Sooner Thanks for your advice. The thing is I am out in the world every day working at a profession where I can honestly say nobody uses language like that. My friends don't talk like that either. But I can see from the reaction of so many people that this kind of language is more common than I realized. 

@Fair Lady

i am also out in the world everyday. up until the last two years when my kids were in school i could go into a high school and hear MUCH worse coming from kids walking down the hallways....it isnt much different now that they are on a college campus.  i am in a profession where the language that i hear is much worse than the word "poop."......with many other words also being said or yelled. i am the odd one out in my business.

i have friends that use bad language sometimes and i have friends that NEVER use bad language.

the word "poop" isnt even a blip on my radar in the grand scheme of things.

I think thats true for most people however this wasn't  in the grand scheme of things -

no one was comparing it to bigger problems simply calling it out for what is was-unnecesary and crass for a show host during a presentation of a non poop related item!

if you understood my post, i was NOT comparing it to bigger problems.......just "bigger" words, so to speak. the word, the phrase are not a big deal in my opinion......i hear the real phrase or word every single day of the week.....multiples times a day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Sounds like many posters would prefer to have the host use a script. No more speaking off the cuff. Just state the facts of the product and nothing else. And... They could all wear the same uniforms, like a waiter and waitress so we don't have to see to much skin. 

What do you think? Would that help viewers to not be offended?

Because, there are more and more posts of viewers being upset and offended over a shopping channel. I don't get it, but then, I don't let things bother me very often.

Yes, I would prefer more consistency.  

Talk about the product, size, colors, fit on & on instead of worrying about scaring the POOP out of your kids.

Yes, I would much prefer a script if that's what it takes to keep the host on track.

Honored Contributor

Well @Spurt that's the wonderful thing about this Country, you and I can agree to disagree.

I don't love any of these hosts.  I don't have to love any of these hosts (not related to any of them).  I do need to be able to understand them if I'm going to buy something.  It has nothing to do with dialect it has to do with not 'swallowing' their pronunciation.  That was what I was taking about.

Because I don't believe in calling anyone out I don't mention specifics and my guess is you've never even seen this person because she's on late at night.  However, not everyone can do what these people do.  I guess that's why they're limited to 3 hours a day.  They must speak from the diaphram and that's not easy to do constantly for 3 hours (all of the while thinking second to second BEFORE you speak).  I couldn't do it, if you could, more power to you.

It is with this observation (on my part) that I have problems with this specific person.  You've stated your issues with Kirsten's speech pattern (fast and use of words).  As a 71 (almost) year old my hearing isn't great these days, so I miss some of what's said.  I also admit I am not perfect. 

There are people here who I would suggest need to remember that none of us are perfect.  With that closing comment I will repeat, we should agree to disagree.....on what....I'm still not sure because I do speak in slang but then I'm not on TV thank goodness....and you have a great day.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

In case anyone doesn't know the difference between a host who can complete full sentences without slang, without a word salad, without made up words, try watching Valerie Parr Hill and Jayne Brown last night on the holiday show or any show.

I can't compliment them enough for such a pleasant show.  

No squealing, no slang, no made up words, no cutesy LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME.

I've been skipping Kerstin's shows for quite a while, I just don't understand why she is still  there yet they fire Alex for doing the same thing.   

@software, we don't know why Alex is no longer with QVC so we can't say that they fired her for the same thing Kerstin does.

QVC Customer Care

Thread is closed for commenting. Cindy, QVC