Regular Contributor

Re: Just Some Constructive Feedback

Carolyn was the worst with the UMs and UHs OMG, the worst.  Shawn is a close 2nd.

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@snipsnapsnur wrote:

@Carolina925 wrote:

I had a teacher in elementary school, I think maybe 5th grade, who tried to teach us not to say "um/uh". I never realized how many times I said it before she brought it to our attention. I didn't learn well, I think I probably still say it all the time. It's one of those filler words because we don't value silence or pauses. I could never sell anything and never understand how people do it. Selling a ho-hum item and presenting it for 15 minutes or so must be extremely difficult. I know there are people who naturally can sell anything. I watched a presentation this morning for D&Co shorts; the entire presentation was spent on Gary telling they had 12 5-star reviews, mentioning the inseam only in the final seconds.

I won't name names, but there is one particular male host that says the word "um" as the first word of almost every sentence he speaks.  It's not a silence filler.  It's usually said as:  Um, but, ---------and then he continues on with what he is saying. No pause as if thinking or anything.  So dang annoying because it's CONSTANT!  I can't figure out why he does it!!

I was a tv salesperson, I'd be bored silly and might develop the habit of using um too.

We all have bad habits. If Q thought it was a problem, they'd address it. So the decision to watch or not watch is up to you.

Yet isn't it funny that that not everyone says Um all the time.  Same job, no Ums.  Hmmmmm

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Luv2Watch.  I feel sure QVC will appreciate your pointing out discrepancies and will immediately initiate remedial training.

Really Kachina624? Not!

I'm sure @Kachina624 was just being sarcastic! I got that right away.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Huh ... good thread.

My pet peeve is how rarely the hosts bother to mention FABRIC CONTENT PERCENTAGES.

I don't want to hear "it's a cotton blend".  Blended with what, please? 

I want the hosts to say "it's 55% cotton and 45% polyester" ... or whatever it is.

This isn't rocket science and the hosts should take a moment and tell us what we need to know to make an informed decision.  The silliness can come later if they need to fill time.  

First things first.  

I'm waiting to hear, "This one isn't imported from China, folks!"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@ahoymate wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Luv2Watch.  I feel sure QVC will appreciate your pointing out discrepancies and will immediately initiate remedial training.

Really Kachina624? Not!

I'm sure @Kachina624 was just being sarcastic! I got that right away.

Judaline, aren't you quick!

Of course Kachina624 knew I was being facetious, you know, teasing.

New Contributor

Hi everyone! Is it just me, or is anybody else totally annoyed with "coh-in vs cotton"? Seriously...it sounds like a new form of Ebonics! I love Denim & Co but, I will only watch when Gary G is on air. His assistant Jackie's (?) constant enunciation of "coh-in and buh-in" drives me nuts. The guest from Anybody seems to have the same problem. Come on ladies, I'd expect this from unlearned, lazy kids...not adults. I don't accept the blogs that excuse it as a regional issue or a something "glottal" infirmity. It's pure laziness. Please QVC, make it stop!

Super Contributor

@Auti Girl in what region in the United States do people pronounce the T's in "button" like cut glass? I have never heard that, not even on TV news, and those people are professionals! In any case, the English language came from Britain, so we all have it wrong.
Honored Contributor

@snipsnapsnur wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@snipsnapsnur wrote:

@Carolina925 wrote:

I had a teacher in elementary school, I think maybe 5th grade, who tried to teach us not to say "um/uh". I never realized how many times I said it before she brought it to our attention. I didn't learn well, I think I probably still say it all the time. It's one of those filler words because we don't value silence or pauses. I could never sell anything and never understand how people do it. Selling a ho-hum item and presenting it for 15 minutes or so must be extremely difficult. I know there are people who naturally can sell anything. I watched a presentation this morning for D&Co shorts; the entire presentation was spent on Gary telling they had 12 5-star reviews, mentioning the inseam only in the final seconds.

I won't name names, but there is one particular male host that says the word "um" as the first word of almost every sentence he speaks.  It's not a silence filler.  It's usually said as:  Um, but, ---------and then he continues on with what he is saying. No pause as if thinking or anything.  So dang annoying because it's CONSTANT!  I can't figure out why he does it!!

I was a tv salesperson, I'd be bored silly and might develop the habit of using um too.

We all have bad habits. If Q thought it was a problem, they'd address it. So the decision to watch or not watch is up to you.

Yet isn't it funny that that not everyone says Um all the time.  Same job, no Ums.  Hmmmmm

I really don't care how a word is pronounced or if filler words are used. Stuff happens. Words are pronounced many ways if you travel our country. 

I have enough going on in my life without getting my panties in a bunch over how some tv salesperson says things.

Super Contributor

I think they have to say the colors because some clothes vendors use Red, and some use Burgundy, and some use Cherry, and so on for the same color.  Red isn't necessarily called Red on all clothing lines. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Maybe if they didn't spend 20 minutes on a simple item that can be described in 5 minutes some of the annoying habits would disappear.

I find it much easier just to check "recently on air" to see if there's anything of interest.  Can't imagine watching an entire hour.

Bravo...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...