Honored Contributor

Re: Jewelry hosts and rulers

@docsgirl 

Your comments are very unkind and NOT necessary. 

This thread is discussing the use of measurements.....NOT personal attire choices.

Why do people find it necessary to insert digs into every conversation about a host?

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@docsgirl wrote:

How pitiful that an adult does not know the difference between inches and centimeters.  I am a retired teacher.  I still work, taking on long term positions in our schools.  I just finished a tutoring position in grades 3 and 4.  My 3rd graders were learning inches and centimenters.  They used their rulers to measure various items around the classroom. During a lesson on our SmartBoard, we were measuiring shapes in inches but I used the centimeter side of the ruler (deliberately) and they were quick to correct me.  If 3rd graders are capable of knowing the difference between inches and centimeters there is no excuse for a 40-something person being incapable of having knowledge of the same.  She should have done her homework and brushed up.  Also, why didn't someone inform her of the difference...or does no one else there know either?  Then they complain when customers return items.

A bit off topic, but I don't understand why no one corrects Shawn when she says $25 bill, $35 bill, $40 bill etc.  I tried that on my third graders and they said I was silly because I should know there is no such thing as a $35 bill.  They said that everybody knows the 'monetary denominations.'  Out of the mouths of third graders.

A bit excessive as I think we all know, including Shawn, there are no 25, 35, or 40 dollar bills.  As your third graders said "everybody knows the monetary denominations."

If that is so, then why does she say what she says?  Is she trying to be cute, funny, draw attention to her. etc...?   Those bizarre clown-like glasses and neon fake nails all serve to draw attenton to her rather than the products being sold. 
She also needs to be prepared for her presentations.  The other evening on the Quacker show, Angel had to explain the difference between 2 types of pants and she still didn't understand. It is her job as a salesclerk to know her merchandise so she can accurately inform the potentional consumer.  It's a wonder she still has a job. Her ridiculous antics wore thin ages ago and she needs to behave in a more professional manner...just my personal opinion.

I think we are talking about two separate hosts.  Shawn was on with Quacker Factory and not Kerstin.

Honored Contributor

Not that I watch, but if she hasn't done a jewelry show in 6 years, why is she doing one now?  Aren't there hosts more capable available????

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Not that I watch, but if she hasn't done a jewelry show in 6 years, why is she doing one now?  Aren't there hosts more capable available????

I'm guessing because the PTB told her to. I don't think hosts get to pick which shows they want to host.

Honored Contributor

@Catstamper wrote:

I watched Kerstin present Affinity gems tonight, and at least twice she held up a ruler to a piece of jewelry with the metric side and gave a totally wrong measurement. The split shank pearl earring is 3/4 inch, and she said it was an inch and a half. It’s probably a centimeter and a half. She did a nice job, but accurately presenting the products seems fairly important, no?

@Catstamper 

Funny ... with all the jewelry shows I've seen over the years, I never thought the hosts were actually measuring jewelry.  I thought they were reading the measurements given to them off their cards for that item, but using the placement of the rulers to give the viewers a close up.  

I also agree with the comment that if they are actually measuring ...  they need better rulers.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Catstamper wrote:

I watched Kerstin present Affinity gems tonight, and at least twice she held up a ruler to a piece of jewelry with the metric side and gave a totally wrong measurement. The split shank pearl earring is 3/4 inch, and she said it was an inch and a half. It’s probably a centimeter and a half. She did a nice job, but accurately presenting the products seems fairly important, no?

@Catstamper 

Funny ... with all the jewelry shows I've seen over the years, I never thought the hosts were actually measuring jewelry.  I thought they were reading the measurements given to them off their cards for that item, but using the placement of the rulers to give the viewers a close up.  

I also agree with the comment that if they are actually measuring ...  they need better rulers.  

^^This

Esteemed Contributor

In all the shows, in all the years, never have they done the ruler right.  I think they can't see it well from their angle.

Respected Contributor

If they are giving incorrect measurements, it gives the consumer a valid reason for returning the item at no charge for return shipping.

I would think that management would make sure that ALL information that is given during a presentation would be absolutely correct, to avoid any confusion, and reduce possible returns. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

"Bill"? I'm assuming that hosts are speaking of the bill the customer receives, not the denomination of payment.

BY NO MEANS a life changing error, no matter HOW you look at it.