Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I watched Kerstin present Affinity gems tonight, and at least twice she held up a ruler to a piece of jewelry with the metric side and gave a totally wrong measurement. The split shank pearl earring is 3/4 inch, and she said it was an inch and a half. It’s probably a centimeter and a half. She did a nice job, but accurately presenting the products seems fairly important, no?

Honored Contributor

Re: Jewelry hosts and rulers

@Catstamper wrote:

I watched Kerstin present Affinity gems tonight, and at least twice she held up a ruler to a piece of jewelry with the metric side and gave a totally wrong measurement. The split shank pearl earring is 3/4 inch, and she said it was an inch and a half. It’s probably a centimeter and a half. She did a nice job, but accurately presenting the products seems fairly important, no?

Yes.  Important.  But to be fair it's been six years since she did a jewelry show. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is sad when a hosts can't read a ruler. Customers depend on accuracy. 

Valued Contributor

How pitiful that an adult does not know the difference between inches and centimeters.  I am a retired teacher.  I still work, taking on long term positions in our schools.  I just finished a tutoring position in grades 3 and 4.  My 3rd graders were learning inches and centimenters.  They used their rulers to measure various items around the classroom. During a lesson on our SmartBoard, we were measuiring shapes in inches but I used the centimeter side of the ruler (deliberately) and they were quick to correct me.  If 3rd graders are capable of knowing the difference between inches and centimeters there is no excuse for a 40-something person being incapable of having knowledge of the same.  She should have done her homework and brushed up.  Also, why didn't someone inform her of the difference...or does no one else there know either?  Then they complain when customers return items.

A bit off topic, but I don't understand why no one corrects Shawn when she says $25 bill, $35 bill, $40 bill etc.  I tried that on my third graders and they said I was silly because I should know there is no such thing as a $35 bill.  They said that everybody knows the 'monetary denominations.'  Out of the mouths of third graders.

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954  Good point.

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

How pitiful that an adult does not know the difference between inches and centimeters.  I am a retired teacher.  I still work, taking on long term positions in our schools.  I just finished a tutoring position in grades 3 and 4.  My 3rd graders were learning inches and centimenters.  They used their rulers to measure various items around the classroom. During a lesson on our SmartBoard, we were measuiring shapes in inches but I used the centimeter side of the ruler (deliberately) and they were quick to correct me.  If 3rd graders are capable of knowing the difference between inches and centimeters there is no excuse for a 40-something person being incapable of having knowledge of the same.  She should have done her homework and brushed up.  Also, why didn't someone inform her of the difference...or does no one else there know either?  Then they complain when customers return items.

A bit off topic, but I don't understand why no one corrects Shawn when she says $25 bill, $35 bill, $40 bill etc.  I tried that on my third graders and they said I was silly because I should know there is no such thing as a $35 bill.  They said that everybody knows the 'monetary denominations.'  Out of the mouths of third graders.

A bit excessive as I think we all know, including Shawn, there are no 25, 35, or 40 dollar bills.  As your third graders said "everybody knows the monetary denominations."

Esteemed Contributor

Actually there is a big difference between not doing a jewelry show in a few years and the ability to read a ruler.   I agree with the OP,  people would like specific and correct sizing information be it fashion or jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@elated   I think it was an honest error by a host who hasn't done a jewelry show in 6 years.  The number of details to think about must be overwhelming.  I like Kirsten and think that if she's assigned to more jewelry shows in the future she will do even better than she did last night.

Respected Contributor

@Catstamper, I think the problem is the ruler. HA! But seriously, they need to toss that thing and get one where the inches are much more obvious. In Kerstin's defense, Pat Dementri did the exact same thing yesterday while presenting American West jewelry. After giving width and height on a piece she did stop for a second or two (producer may have been correcting her in her earpiece) and changed the measurement saying she knew that couldn't be right. I've seen confusion with other hosts a time or two before, as well. So you don't have to be new to presenting jewelry to mess it up with that ruler.  

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@docsgirl wrote:

A bit excessive as I think we all know, including Shawn, there are no 25, 35, or 40 dollar bills.  As your third graders said "everybody knows the monetary denominations."

If that is so, then why does she say what she says?  Is she trying to be cute, funny, draw attention to her. etc...?   Those bizarre clown-like glasses and neon fake nails all serve to draw attenton to her rather than the products being sold. 
She also needs to be prepared for her presentations.  The other evening on the Quacker show, Angel had to explain the difference between 2 types of pants and she still didn't understand. It is her job as a salesclerk to know her merchandise so she can accurately inform the potentional consumer.  It's a wonder she still has a job. Her ridiculous antics wore thin ages ago and she needs to behave in a more professional manner...just my personal opinion.