Honored Contributor

Re: Jewel Tones are so...passe!

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand this 'I don't like it so nobody should have it' mentality of some.

Hey, in my mind, the color 'olive' should be against the law.  hehe - not really, but it's one color that I simply cannot STAND.   But I sure don't begrudge anybody else liking it.

Choices!  always good.  Smiley Happy

I try not to "Millenial bash", but this does seem like at least in part a generational thing in how people express themselves, in an OTT, hyperbolic, not actually literal way. I think younger people (younger than Boomers and those  right after them) can sometimes tend to express themselves in this somewhat childish, me-me-me way. I doubt the OP literally meant that certain colors should be done away with, but she and her peers express themselves that way - as if they are the center of the universe, lol and the way they'd like it to be should be the way it IS. Maybe a little lesson/reminder that they are NOT "the world" but only a (relatively small) part of it?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

There is a huge difference between some of the loud, gawdy prints designers offer and jewel tones and pretty colors.  The garish prints are ridiculous and I'm surprised they even sell.  I prefer a little class...and some color.  

Honored Contributor

@Slopester wrote:

Susan Graver-No more jewel tones, please. Haven't you ever heard of magenta, grey, olive, ecru, pink, -neutrals , pastels please.Red, blue, white, green, black, yellow!!! Enough already. Women in NY  rarely wear your strong colors. They are too harsh. Olive and grey always sell out first in other lines. Women crave neutrals.Think about it.

@Slopester

Just to be clear, when you state what women in "NY" wear .... are you referring to New York City ... or New York State?  lol     Do you really think QVC or any of its designers should make color decisions based on what women in your area seem to like?   

And WHERE did you ever get the idea that "women crave neutrals"?    Since when?     Newsflash:  Women don't "crave" neutrals.

Clearly, you think you're a fashion expert ......   and are also authorized to speak for all women in "NY" .....  although I really don't know why.        I would be caught dead in olive or grey.  Ugh!

Buy the colors you like and skip the shades that do nothing for you.     We all have different preferences ... and skin tones.

Respected Contributor

I have thought about it. I'm fair. I never wear pastels or neutrals. Give me a good royal purple, emerald green or fuchsia pink.   

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Slopester wrote:

Susan Graver-No more jewel tones, please. Haven't you ever heard of magenta, grey, olive, ecru, pink, -neutrals , pastels please.Red, blue, white, green, black, yellow!!! Enough already. Women in NY  rarely wear your strong colors. They are too harsh. Olive and grey always sell out first in other lines. Women crave neutrals.Think about it.

@Slopester

Just to be clear, when you state what women in "NY" wear .... are you referring to New York City ... or New York State?  lol     Do you really think QVC or any of its designers should make color decisions based on what women in your area seem to like?   

And WHERE did you ever get the idea that "women crave neutrals"?    Since when?     Newsflash:  Women don't "crave" neutrals.

Clearly, you think you're a fashion expert ......   and are also authorized to speak for all women in "NY" .....  although I really don't know why.        I would be caught dead in olive or grey.  Ugh!

Buy the colors you like and skip the shades that do nothing for you.     We all have different preferences ... and skin tones.

I agree!  I don't know anyone who craves neutrals, and I can't remember the last time I saw anyone wear olive.  This is clearly the opinion of one person, obviously not qualified to speak for the entire population of NY (NYC or NY State!)

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan My 18 year old wears beige, olive, maroon/crimson and black. I'd kill for her to wear a "color" again!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Contributor

The idea that a color can be "passe" is so old fashioned and out of touch.  Today, most women will pick colors that look good on them, plain and simple.  Some people look good in strong, jewel tone colors, and some people look better in muted tones.  I don't care what a magazine says in "in", I choose colors that flatter my skin tone.  

Respected Contributor

@Slopester

Chico's carries jewel tones and one of my friends wore a colbalt blue shirt yesterday to church and it looked great on her.  Got it at Chico's on sale for $29.95.  They are almost sold out online.  They come in beautiful jewel tones, white and black colors.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan

LOL    Thinking back, I know of only ONE woman who looked great in olive.   She really did.   Red hair, warm medium complexion and she looked very good in rust, olive, brown and other earth tones.    

Suffice it to say, she got some really amazing clothes on sale over the years.   Who else could look stunning in a rust colored Escada suit?