Honored Contributor

Re: Is it virtuous to never check your luggage?

@beach-mom wrote:

Hi @Becky from Texas ! I have not heard Kerstin talk about this- I'm probably just watching at the wrong times, but I have heard Renee say it a lot. I'm a fan of Renee's line, and I think she's making a point that her items can be rolled and tucked instead of having to be packed carefully.

Renee travels a lot. I imagine it's easier for her not to check her luggage because of her tight schedule.  Smiley Happy

Exactly as @beach-mom  said

@Becky from Texas    you are missing Renee's point all together.

If she is bragging about anything, it is the fact that her line can be rolled tiny and fit into small bags.  Remove and basically NO wrinkles.

And she is correct.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I agree with the OP that Kerstin makes it sound virtuous to never check a bag. 

Sorry, I find that ridiculous.  I don't find her statements to sound like anything other than what they are meant to be.

A sales pitch on the material the clothes are made of.  Period.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago, I was sound asleep, 2 a.m., the doorbell rang and I knew that was unusual but my mother was quite ill and I feared a doorbell ring or a phone ring that time of night was going to be bad news so I always hurriedly responded.

I found a taxidriver holding baggage at my front door after putting on my robe and rushing to the door.  He said "here's your baggage, Mrs. Smith."  I was not Mrs. Smith and still am not but when I inquired about the baggage he said "it's your address."  He read the address.  That was not my address, not even the right street.  The airport personnel had given him instructions (which he held in his hand aside from the baggage) with my address for Mrs. Smith.  Wrong street and wrong person.  How do they make such mistakes.  

I don't know if Mrs. Smith ever got her baggage but I pointed out to him the name on the baggage did not match the instructions given by the airport authority personnel and told him he should return it to the airport officials and have them give him correct address for the name on the luggage.  

I see how things get mixed up.  Nobody seems to be able to read and write, not even the taxidrivers.

P.S.  Is virtuous the right word to describe someone who might/might not abuse the system?  I don't know if that is a virtue or greed but that would depend on your definition of the person.  A virtue might be kindness or chastity.  

Trusted Contributor

@Becky from Texas wrote:

Okay - for several months I have heard 2 people on QVC talk about never checking luggage on their airflights (Kerstin and Renee). They speak about it with pride - almost as if there is something virtuous about it. I see it exactly the opposite and wanted to hear from others. My rationale: #1 there are employees who earn their living from handling checked luggage, so I am helping them when I check my bags. #2 there are airlines who do not charge an additional fees for checking luggage, so it doesn't cost me anything other than perhaps a tip. #3 I can exit the plane quickly when it lands, and I am not delaying other passengers as I struggle to collect mine (and my kids) luggage from overhead bins. I have a pet peeve about those who are so inconsiderate and delay other's exits while they hunt down the several pieces they stowed above. So please - stop lecturing me about how wonderful it is that your "kids have never in their lives checked luggage"! That is not admirable. It is not a virtue. It is inconsiderate to the other passengers! I would rather airlines STOP allowing passengers to carryon their bags.

What do you think?

@Becky from Texas As a frequent flyer I spend far less time waiting for people to retrieve their carryons than I would waiting at a bagge claim. It's not even close. 

Furthermore, taking advantage of any allowable company policy isn't inconsiderate to anyone, but insisting that a policy be removed because I don't like it most certainly is.

Now what I consider extrememly inconsiderate is when another passenger spills out of their seat into mine, but that's a whole other matter.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

For goodness sake, it's a choice available to all -- either check baggage or don't. 

Airlines have strict size requirements for carry-ons, so that means it's a valid choice.  The behavior or perceived behavior of some travelers does not invalidate either choice.

In the past I only checked my baggage.  But got tired of the long wait at the baggage claim, look alike luggage mix-ups, squeezing closer to the belt to retrieve my bags among people who don't want to lose their spot, having my luggage lost -- twice, etc. 

Now, I only carry-on. I actually packed for an 8-day cruise with only the accepted airline carry-on luggage.  By the way, I never jump up and hold up the line to retrieve my carry on. I'm never in any rush.    

Renee says it because she's selling clothes that are easily packable -- it's an effective sales tool.  I have no idea why Kerstin says it, but perhaps it's because she really does like only carry-on luggage.  A choice.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

Hi @Becky from Texas ! I have not heard Kerstin talk about this- I'm probably just watching at the wrong times, but I have heard Renee say it a lot. I'm a fan of Renee's line, and I think she's making a point that her items can be rolled and tucked instead of having to be packed carefully.

Renee travels a lot. I imagine it's easier for her not to check her luggage because of her tight schedule.  Smiley Happy

Exactly as @beach-mom  said

@Becky from Texas    you are missing Renee's point all together.

If she is bragging about anything, it is the fact that her line can be rolled tiny and fit into small bags.  Remove and basically NO wrinkles.

And she is correct.

@RespectLifeso I guess the OP misunderstood the entire sales pitch. I knew there had to be reason why the Host and the Vendor said what they said.

For someone who did not see the presentation I was wondering why should someone check a bag when all they need could fit in a carry on. Now I understand.

Regular Contributor

I think they are being cheap and personally wouldn't wear and re-wear my clothing to save a few bucks.  It's a turn off to me too when it's said.  

Honored Contributor

Let the airline lose your suitcase on your very first buisness trip to New York.  They brought it to hotel within 24 hours, but I had to go out without the benefit of clean clothes or makeup.  It scarred me for life, I've only checked a suitcase once and that was because I was hoping to get a stained glass lamp shade home with my clothes as padding.  Didn't work, those guys throw luggage around like sacks of potatoes.  So I'm pretty negative about checking anything.

Esteemed Contributor

A carry on suitcase is about 22 inches long. That should be able to fit enough clothes for at least a week if you know how to pack.

What some people might not understand is that if the carry on is larger than the required size, no way would you be allowed to take it on the plane. You have to check it. So those two are not getting away with it. They have to follow the rules and I guess they are. You just have to know how to pack.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always check my bag because my liquids wouldn't and it past TSA, plus I hate to maneuver a bag through the airport.  It's the people who gate-check that annoy me because they don't have to pay the checked bag fee.