Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it virtuous to never check your luggage?

ETA: Yes the airlines can and do lose luggage.  On a trip to France a few years ago my DH's suitcase never showed up....they fortunately found it after 24 hours and it was sent to him.  For me it's wise to have both a carry on and a checked bag.

Yes, indeed.  I guess we've run out of things to discuss when we're complaining about who checks luggage who doesn't.  

If someone wants me to check my baggage to speed up their own time, then they should volunteer to pay for it.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

My husband is retired from the airlines & we always check luggage.  I do have a carry-on for necessities and one change of clothes in case we get bumped (non-rev travelers).

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

DH and I fly frequently.  It depends on whether we check bags or not.  One of the reasons we do check bags is we always arrive at the airport early and it's nice not to have to schlep the bags around.  On the other hand it's nice not to have to wait for the luggage although it's been our experience that the luggage appears quicker than it used to.

I agree with the OP that people struggle getting their bags from the overhead and slows down the deplaning time but I wouldn't call them "inconsiderate" probably stupid would more clearly fit the bill, IMO!!!

Also, many times at the gate the agents will ask if anyone wants to check a bag for free so those who don't want to spend the extra money can't use that as an excuse.

I am waiting for the day when there will be 2 exits from the plane to quicken getting off.  But if won't happen in my lifetime, if ever!

Stupid?  How about they did it for expediency for their own benefit.  There is nothing stupid about putting a piece of luggage in a bin that fits said piece of luggage.  Nothing stupid about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

As someone who basically only flies for business, I always check my bag.  As previously stated, the curbside attendants have lost so much business, that I use that convenience as much as possible.  Also, the size and number of bags people think are ok to carry on has gotten larger and larger over the past few years.  

Not only does it take longer than necessary to get on the plane waiting for people to stow their bags, but getting off is so much longer, especially where I live flying back into Lga or Jfk.  I get really antsy waiting, especially when one person has bags in 2 different places.

I completely understand not wanting to pay $30 or so to check a bag, but I also haven't had to wait for my baggage in over 3 years--it's always there when I get to the carousel.  

This is true, however many times you're sitting on the tarmack waiting to taxi for take off anyway.  What difference does it make?

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

It's annoying having to wait for everyone and their brother to get their bags before deplaning. Maybe let those who don't have bags excluding business and first, get off before and that will cut back on a number of carry-on bags. 

I'm sure this won't be popular!

It's been annoying for years then.  Many people have more than that bag in the overhead bin.  Many also have a checked bag or two that they have to pay for.  There is a uniform size for carrryons.  This isn't something new.  We're losing patience with one another over luggage?  I'm usually glad to stand up after a flight.  Wait my turn, grab my stuff and leave like everyone else.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Apparently its a great source of pride for many, especially Kerstin.  To me checking luggage is not a big deal and I'd rather do it than risk not having the things I want to wear or running out of clean underwear.

You luggage can get lost or delayed when it is checked in.  Ask me how I know?  I've had to wait for an airline to get my clothing during a trip to Virginia once.  If your luggage is checked, don't assume it's on the same plane as you are.  Sometimes there is too much and they have to add it to other flights.  The airline will take responsibility for getting it to you in the event this happens.

That happened to me twice.  Once 20 plus years ago when we went to Hawaii.  Really put a damper on my trip because I didn't get to wear all the cute outfits I had packed. I had to buy some cheap touristy stuff.  We were there for 10 days and the airline delivered my missing bag to our hotel on day 8.   Another time, coming back from London, they lost the checked bag that had gifts and clothing I bought.  That was delivered to my home 5 or 6 days later.  I didn't know how it got there.  Hubby got up to walk the dog and it was sitting on our lawn.  They didn't even bother to put it up on the porch!  With all the delays and canceled flights, I would never in a million years check a bag.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I am traveling within the US  for just a few days I do not check my bags.  If I am going to Europe my DH and I bring two suitcases.  We each put half of our things in each suitcase so in the event one gets lost we still have clothes to last until they are found.   But it has been my experience that almost everyone brings carry on bags on a plane whether they have checked in bags or not.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Becky from Texas  When I worked for the airlines carry on bags could not be over a certain size. 

@proudlyfromNJ .. size of carry on bags is  still limited..... at least on United Airlines.  

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the OP that Kerstin makes it sound virtuous to never check a bag. 

Respected Contributor

If it's just me and it's a short trip, I can do just a carry on and I prefer that (if I can) so I don't have to pay luggage fee and just be on my way.  My husband never checks a bag.  Does not like waiting for luggage.