New Contributor

Is it virtuous to never check your luggage?

Okay - for several months I have heard 2 people on QVC talk about never checking luggage on their airflights (Kerstin and Renee). They speak about it with pride - almost as if there is something virtuous about it. I see it exactly the opposite and wanted to hear from others. My rationale: #1 there are employees who earn their living from handling checked luggage, so I am helping them when I check my bags. #2 there are airlines who do not charge an additional fees for checking luggage, so it doesn't cost me anything other than perhaps a tip. #3 I can exit the plane quickly when it lands, and I am not delaying other passengers as I struggle to collect mine (and my kids) luggage from overhead bins. I have a pet peeve about those who are so inconsiderate and delay other's exits while they hunt down the several pieces they stowed above. So please - stop lecturing me about how wonderful it is that your "kids have never in their lives checked luggage"! That is not admirable. It is not a virtue. It is inconsiderate to the other passengers! I would rather airlines STOP allowing passengers to carryon their bags.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it virtuous to never check your luggage?

@Becky from Texas  When I worked for the airlines carry on bags could not be over a certain size. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @Becky from Texas ! I have not heard Kerstin talk about this- I'm probably just watching at the wrong times, but I have heard Renee say it a lot. I'm a fan of Renee's line, and I think she's making a point that her items can be rolled and tucked instead of having to be packed carefully.

Renee travels a lot. I imagine it's easier for her not to check her luggage because of her tight schedule.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never check a bag when I fly either, I fly with 1 carry on, no problem to locate quickly and I don't spend an hour waiting at the luggage carousel, IF I'm lucky enough for my bags to actually arrive.

I'm not "inconsiderate" at all.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently its a great source of pride for many, especially Kerstin.  To me checking luggage is not a big deal and I'd rather do it than risk not having the things I want to wear or running out of clean underwear.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I hear it often from the hosts and it's not a reason to brag, in my opinion.  It annoys me when those people take up all the overhead storage space.  Maybe they should do the reverse and charge for NOT checking bags.

New Contributor

That is a GREAT idea! I'm all for charging for each carryon a person brings on the plane - maybe $10 per item? Maybe that would discourage the families from bringing on 10 "small" bags and finding room for them all!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do both!  I can fill up my carry on with just my beauty items but I try to par it down. Of course today one can only bring so many liquids on with them.

My carry on consists of extra underwear, an extra top or two, extra bottoms and a pair of flip flops (which is great for warm weather or if I need shower shoes).  I also bring a kindle, laptop (or tablet) various chargers, vitamins and my blood pressure meds.  That's about all I can fit into the carry on!...I don't plan on only wearing two outfits all week!

ETA: Yes the airlines can and do lose luggage.  On a trip to France a few years ago my DH's suitcase never showed up....they fortunately found it after 24 hours and it was sent to him.  For me it's wise to have both a carry on and a checked bag.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends how long I'm going to be gone. A few days I can do in a carry on plus a backpack. I only use a small purse and it fits into the backpack. If I'm going for 2 weeks, a cruise or Europe then I have no choice but to check luggage. I did Ireland once for a eeek with just a carryon but when I cam back I had another bag with stuff I bought.

Honored Contributor

@Becky from Texas wrote:

That is a GREAT idea! I'm all for charging for each carryon a person brings on the plane - maybe $10 per item? Maybe that would discourage the families from bringing on 10 "small" bags and finding room for them all!

@Becky from Texas Most airlines that I fly on only allow one carry on & one "personal" bag like a handbag, tote or backpack.