Trusted Contributor

I cannot tolerate the avarice shown by QVC anymore!

After 31 years of loyal patronage, I think it's time to close my QVC account permanently, because I believe they are now ridiculous in pricing.

I just saw tiny crossbody bags and others at $575.00!

And sandals and other shoes over  S100.00/pr?

Clothing? Ridiculous.

Health and beauty are a huge war for who can get the best price for same/similiar products.

Of course, shipping fees have not reduced, and they run reruns all night long, and I assume it's to save money on host's salaries.

Of course, there are more increases, but I don't have to tolerate it. Seriously thinking of closing my account. They don't need my business, they are doing very well without it.

Respected Contributor

Re: I cannot tolerate the avarice shown by QVC anymore!

I don't understand why you are posting your leaving (possibly) publicly  over prices of some items.

And calling it "avarice" is over the top, isn't it?

Because the free market, which is the fairest way to pick winners and losers is at work here.

Someone must want a $575 crossbody bag of a particular brand. Not I! I never in my life spent that much on a handbag even though---I could if I wanted to. To me, it's not worth the money . So I don't even look at them. Not interested.

So if someone IS interested in such a bag, then they are free to buy it. You and I are free to say, no, thanks, don't think I will. That's not avarice, that is choice. 

Avarice is pushing someone into a corner to overcharge them for something or being greedy for more than you are entitled to. Offering a luxe bag is not avarice, it's catering to a particular market. It's not me nor you but apparently there are people in such a market. 

If you find the prices high here, you can shop at many off label stores in your town that offer goods at cut rate prices, some of them marked down. Choice is limited but there are bargains to be had. 

Esteemed Contributor

QVC offers items because someone wants to buy them.  Simple as that.  No worse than any other shopping.  If you don't like it, don't buy.  

Honored Contributor

Someone who uses the word avarice in regular conversation probably doesn't belong with the regular QVC crowd. I understand why you'll be shopping elsewhere. As for me, I look for daily specials to get some good deals here.

Honored Contributor

No need to even close your account.  Merely don't shop here any more.  Simple.

Honored Contributor

Of course you can do whatever you please.

QVC is offering a much wider range of items at varying prices for all types of budgets and tastes.  

There are loads of other items and prices in their inventory. If I cannot find what I'd buy here, I go elsewhere.  But QVC is still in my rotation of retail sites.

I'll never buy a $575 crossbody bag.  QVC is not forcing that  bag on anyone -- but trust me, someone out there will buy it and be happy with it.  Why would I care about that?  I don't.

I just picked up a pair of $27 Vince Camuto gorgeous sandals though. Smiley Very Happy  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to Google It!

Avarice is a more formal than greed. ... Greed is a less formal and more general word than avarice. Although it is still most often used to suggest an excessive and uncontrollable desire for food, its usage has expanded and it is now used to suggest an unreasonable desire for wealth, possessions and other things too.

Formal Greed!   rolling.gif

Respected Contributor

Anyone and everyone has the right to spend their money, or not, exactly as they please.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Such avarice!

Funny thread.

Respected Contributor

"Avarice"...I learned a new word today!  Smiley Tongue