Respected Contributor

Re: I can't believe what I just heard...

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2

I, too, consider myself spiritual and do not ascribe to religious teachings and truly believe in a Higher Source.  The Bible is not a book of reference for me but one that is filled with wonderful stories.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@chenzy wrote:

Well, I know some scholars who read the bible and don't necessarily believe it.

That's all fine and great with me.  My problem is that a host shouldn't say any religious "bible" is good as enjoyment because that is rather disrespectful to that religion's believers.  

She could say she had read it and it was not of her faith but she had gained insight, and that would be fine with me.  But she basically was saying it isn't really a "bible" by saying what she said.  Which is thoughtless.  She could have said the same thought in a far more diplomatic way and maybe she'll do that next time.  A good lesson learned to be respectful of all religions isn't it?

Its a dumb mistake for someone to make, but not the end of the earth.  As is known in the BIble.  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Kerstin selling the Bible just said, "You don't have to be a believer to enjoy the Bible."  This doesn't make any sense to me.  Is she just trying to sell this product and not thinking what is coming out of her mouth?  Why would someone who doesn't believe want to buy a Bible?  Just doesn't make sense to me.

@teachergal,  a nonbeliever might read the Bible in order to learn what's in it, perhaps to better understand why they don't believe or out of curiosity about the Bible or to better understand what it is that believers believe. Seekers who want to believe something but are not sure what may use the Bible as a starting point for spritual exploration and growth. There are lots of reason a nonbeliever would read the Bible, and in the course of doing so,, some have become believers.

Trusted Contributor

@freakygirl  I doubt that is what Kirstin meant.  

Honored Contributor

There is no issue here except that created by a handful of individuals. As has been amply demonstrated in this thread, and every other mention of Xtian belief on these forums, there is no one set of Xtian beliefs, there never has been, and there never will be. Denominations sneer at each other, why wouldn’t individuals do the same?

One person’s feelings about such an issue are just that...one person’s feelings. Or maybe half a dozen people. QVC can’t worry about pandering (or not) to the most narrow-minded in any group - age, sex, belief or anything else.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I wonder if everyone replying to the thread has seen the video?   I'll post the link, again, since they're still showing the one with Connie and Kerstin:

http://www.qvc.com/New-King-James-Version-Notetaking-Bible.product.E230801.html?sc=E230801-24HR&cm_s...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moonchilde wrote:

There is no issue here except that created by a handful of individuals. As has been amply demonstrated in this thread, and every other mention of Xtian belief on these forums, there is no one set of Xtian beliefs, there never has been, and there never will be. Denominations sneer at each other, why wouldn’t individuals do the same?

One person’s feelings about such an issue are just that...one person’s feelings. Or maybe half a dozen people. QVC can’t worry about pandering (or not) to the most narrow-minded in any group - age, sex, belief or anything else.

I agree with you, @Moonchilde.   Also, I think this is a great illustration of one of the reasons the Community guidelines were changed to prohibit most religious content in threads and posts.   Posters are individuals and this is an extremely personal issue for individuals.   That makes it complicated for us to discuss here.   QVC's sales presentations, on the other hand, are a for-profit business and they will do whatever makes the most money.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I agree with you, @Moonchilde.   Also, I think this is a great illustration of one of the reasons the Community guidelines were changed to prohibit most religious content in threads and posts.   Posters are individuals and this is an extremely personal issue for individuals.   That makes it complicated for us to discuss here.   QVC's sales presentations, on the other hand, are a for-profit business and they will do whatever makes the most money.

@dooBdoo, it’s also a good illustration of the mindset of the ever-present these days “this offends me” (and the expectation that by saying the buzz phrase, people are obligated to stop “offending”).  The whole idea that if one says they are offended by anything, “it” is of course bad and should be stopped immediately. Anything and everything can be deemed offensive by anyone. It’s become meaningless - a “clever” way to say “shut up” really. IMO. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

👍🏼Well said, makes perfect sense to me.

⚓️
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde@dooBdoo

😉 👏🏼

⚓️