Esteemed Contributor

Re: I can't believe what I just heard...

Why is a shopping channel selling any religious items? Will political items be next? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

As a Christian I am in no way offended by Kirsten's comment. I would love to see more people - especially non-believers - read the Bible.  We all can learn something from hearing (and reading) something of the religion of others.  Perhaps it might make for a kinder, more understanding world.

And just as an aside, book stores (possibly all of them) sell Bibles.  Yet they are not promoting any religion or trying to convert shoppers to the Christian faith. The same for public libraries.  I also suspect they may maintain the literature of a variety of religions.  Do some of you see this as an issue? 

Respected Contributor

Don't you wish people would just put the brain in gear before speaking?  What a dumb thing for a host to say.  Again, it falls under the QVC mantra:  "If you sell it, people will buy it."

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Why is a shopping channel selling any religious items? Will political items be next? 

@BirkiLady.  They have been selling Bibles and other religious items for many,many years. This is nothing new.

Honored Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Kerstin selling the Bible just said, "You don't have to be a believer to enjoy the Bible."  This doesn't make any sense to me.  Is she just trying to sell this product and not thinking what is coming out of her mouth?  Why would someone who doesn't believe want to buy a Bible?  Just doesn't make sense to me.

@teachergal

There's a book by Northrop Frye called The Educated Imagination you might want to take a look at.

From the blurb at Amazon:

Addressed to educators and general readers―the "consumers of literature" from all walks of life―this important new book explores the value and uses of literature in our time. Dr. Frye offers, in addition, challenging and stimulating ideas for the teaching of literature at lower school levels, designed both to promote an early interest and to lead the student to the knowledge and kaleidoscopic experience found in the study of literature.

Dr. Frye's proposals for the teaching of literature include an early emphasis on poetry, the "central and original literary form," intensive study of the Bible, as literature, and the Greek and Latin classics, as these embody all the great enduring themes of western man, and study of the great literary forms: tragedy and comedy, romance and irony.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

If a "shopping" channel is trying to sell the Bible, then they should ALSO be selling....

Torah and Talmud

Book of Mormon

The Holy Quran

Shreemad Bhagavad Gita

etc., etc., etc., etc.....

Just saying..........

Maybe they would, if there was customer demand and the management felt there would be enough buyers to make a profit in these sales

Contributor

Well, I know some scholars who read the bible and don't necessarily believe it.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 Agree! I can't change the channel fast enough, when I see/hear her. 

Honored Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. The Bible is just a book , to many people

It is to be read and explored. I am not so high and mighty ,about how God chooses to reveal Himself ,to other people. It's none of my business. That is between them

Honored Contributor

Remember, many Christian religions do not view the bible, particularly the OT, a an accurate historical book. Many believe it was inspired by God to help us learn about Him.  There are countless lessons and teachings but that doesn't mean it is a history book to many Christians.

Given the current crop of pseudo Christians in the public eye, many people want to know more about it so they read the bible and dogmas.