Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am far from being a prude, however....

I love wine and drink it when out dining. But you can't deny what you see with sales people drinking wine while selling is certainly influencing. A clear example is remembering cigarette advertising. When smoking was advertised as sophisticated, fun, sexy, masculine, feminine, just everything many people would be influenced by and definitely were. 

I smoked after college and my first job. I wanted to look, can you believe it, OLDER! 

Certainly, the Q is promoting drinking wine, just as cigarettes were once promoted, and many many were influenced to smoke. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm missing what the big deal is about this.  They are selling wine.  You can get wine in most grocery/convience stores.  The US actually has plenty of local wineries (you know buy local? Made in the USA?) Who really thinks a boatload of drunks are watching a random QVC show?  What exactly are they supposed to do with the wine?  They are selling something you drink.  So they show them drinking something- btw you do NOT know that it's the wine in the glass.  I understand the loss of a loved one to a DUI.  Any loss of a loved one is sad.  But how would you have them sell this?  Wine is not a bad thing.  Just because you consider it evil does not make it so.  

They show them eating tons of FAT, SUGAR filled food that they sell.  I would say inspiring plenty to overeat and order things they shouldn't causing plenty of obesity, diabetes, heart issues etc.  And with all the talk about that being a big co-morbitity involved in Covid deaths I would think that would be far more important.  

I"m sorry if you lost a loved one.  But there are tons of movies, tv shows, commercials etc that depict drinking and drug use that get far more people watching than a random show on a random shopping channel that many might not even  be able to access with their cable company.  People can and do drink responsibly.  It's a fact.  To lump anyone with a drink in their hands as a future drunk, someone who has or is going to get a DUI all because of watching a random QVC show is not likely to happen.   If someone is going to drink a bunch of wine, they can just go to their local store and get it. A well placed commercial on a national channel, or shown in a popular TV show or movie will inspire more to buy alcohol than one segment of one of their sellers. 

And yes, I lost a friend many years ago to a drunk driver.  He was on a motorcycle.  His older brother was on his first night on the local Police Dept.  He was hit, went into a tree.  His brother was called to the scene of the accident not knowing it was his younger brother.  Yeah that was rough.  But I don't look at any drinking on a random shopping channel as promoting DUIs.  I worry more about the drug use they show in movies and tv shows for teens. 

FYI yes I can have an occasional drink, glass of wine, and no I have never driven drunk, under the influence, or had any desire to after a drink.  And I was NEVER inspired to run to the kitchen after seeing Shawn in bed with a glass of wine to polish off a bottle.  And I seriously doubt it will inspire anyone else.  If it did I challange any posters to come forward and say that they were inspired by one of these wine shows to binge on wine. If you bought a bottle for the holidays that's fine.  It's ok.  You are not a drunk, an alcoholic or a bad person.  I've always said if one of their programs offends you, there are plenty of other channels.  Seriously.  Have a good day.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My beef is that the whole wine drinking scenario is just plain juvenile and silly along with the giggling that usually accompanies it....Its like they are teenagers that raided the liquor cabinet while the parents were out.(and the majority of the time, they aren't even selling wine!) In addition to the wine drinking you can also end the Fri-Yay, Holi-Yay too..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt Gotta agree they could do a better more mature show.  But it's their show, their sales pitch.  Dumb?  yup, but thank god for a channel changer Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

My beef is that the whole wine drinking scenario is just plain juvenile and silly along with the giggling that usually accompanies it....Its like they are teenagers that raided the liquor cabinet while the parents were out..In addition to the wine drinking you can also end the Fri-Yay, Holi-Yay too..............If people dont turn the channel QVC might get more sales too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

@Spurt Gotta agree they could do a better more mature show.  But it's their show, their sales pitch.  Dumb?  yup, but thank god for a channel changer Smiley Happy

@eadu4 

It's a shame because if they show something in the show preview that looks interesting QVC misses out because when I turn the channel and I dont watch or buy either....QVCs loss 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

My beef is that the whole wine drinking scenario is just plain juvenile and silly along with the giggling that usually accompanies it....Its like they are teenagers that raided the liquor cabinet while the parents were out.(and the majority of the time, they aren't even selling wine!) In addition to the wine drinking you can also end the Fri-Yay, Holi-Yay too..............

@Spurt I must be missing something or out of step because it comes across as you said, juvenile, and I quit watching any show where they yell "...-yay." It's nails on a chalk board. Please stop shouting at me insisting I'm having fun.

Respected Contributor

well if Jesus could turn water into wine at a wedding reception, I don't think it's objectionabl for hosts to sip a little fruit of the vine once in a whie.

Honored Contributor

How about Vanessa on "Last Man Standing"? Forever w/the wine.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Since "prude" refers to someone overly concerned with another's sexuality or lack of modesty, I agree you're not a prude.  

I think, actually, you are a judgmental person who comes to very wild conclusions, and generalizes or exaggerates consequences for very ordinary actions. 

Watching the hosts have a glass of wine while presenting products does not lend itself to all women or even some women being moved to join with wine at all, let alone "drink the rest of the evening". It doesn't promote alcoholism any more than being able to buy alcohol or wine in retail stores promotes it.

I can see people drink and not want to drink or think I should drink. Women who don't drink aren't any more likely to buy the products the hosts are selling while sipping and they aren't any more likely to pour a glass of wine and then finish the bottle "as seen in TV".

It's quite OK to feel and say it's not necessary to drink or to apply your standards of decorum to hosts' behavior in the merits of your own level of affront.  You can just think it's wrong or simply disapprove. And you can hold yourself as an example of how often or not you believe people should drink or specifically diabetics should drink. But projecting that this is an offensive thing to watch because you assert it could cause others to engage in something you clearly disapprove of is smug and insincere. 

Here is a definition you should recognize:

a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner.

That's a prig, not a prude. 

@gizmogal You are calling the OP judgemental? I would reread your post as it's very judgemental. The pot calling the kettle black as they say. As for the correction on "prude" unnecessary. We understood what she meant.