Honored Contributor

Re: I am far from being a prude, however....

Cigarett smoking was banned from tv ads.  So there is a precedent.  It is funny how selective people are in what "bad" habits they want to not see promoted on television.

I am thinking it is only the ones they enjoy that they don't want to see gone.  

And if you think seeing activity on tv doesn't promote behavior, may I ask again, how come companies pay the big bucks for product placement?

So no need to sneer here at folks, because some of them may have lost loved ones to DUI's and feel pretty strongly about it. 

Trusted Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I highly doubt a TV host drinking something is going to promote alcoholism. Seriously.

I'll drink to that.

love this thread!  My 2 bits:  Grant me serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change the channel......and so on!  

I hardly ever watch these days, but I did just happen to see the clown-host wearing a strange  knit hat and awkward looking, big glasses, laying in a bed with fleece sheets & drinking WINE of all things.   It shows that she does not take her job seriously, she did not make me want to buy anything or drink anything.  etc.   Made me think that she is just a loser with a tv show. 

Respected Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I highly doubt a TV host drinking something is going to promote alcoholism. Seriously.

I'll drink to that.

love this thread!  My 2 bits:  Grant me serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change the channel......and so on!  

I hardly ever watch these days, but I did just happen to see the clown-host wearing a strange  knit hat and awkward looking, big glasses, laying in a bed with fleece sheets & drinking WINE of all things.   It shows that she does not take her job seriously, she did not make me want to buy anything or drink anything.  etc.   Made me think that she is just a loser with a tv show. 

I agree with you. I watched a short segment of her. She did look very silly dressed as she was and then crawled into bed with a wine glass.  Ridiculous!. She is not a fav of mine so I changed the channel.

New Contributor

I don't think it's appropriate PERIOD!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Cigarett smoking was banned from tv ads.  So there is a precedent.  It is funny how selective people are in what "bad" habits they want to not see promoted on television.

I am thinking it is only the ones they enjoy that they don't want to see gone.  

And if you think seeing activity on tv doesn't promote behavior, may I ask again, how come companies pay the big bucks for product placement?

So no need to sneer here at folks, because some of them may have lost loved ones to DUI's and feel pretty strongly about it. 

@Sooner - Yes, some of us have lost loved ones to DUIs and I feel pretty strongly (that's an understatement) about drinking and driving.

But I still don't think seeing someone with a glass of wine in hand on a shopping channel or even seeing wine advertised is going to turn someone into an alcoholic.  There are many reasons people turn to drink and that's far too complex to be addressed in a shopping channel forum.

And I remember all the tv ads for smoking - didn't turn me into a smoker.

You're making a pretty sweeping generalization here that those of us not offended by this only object to those things we don't personally like.

Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I'll drink to that.

Me too. Cheers!

Honored Contributor

@Venezia No, in general I think people don't look as critically at things they do than things don't do.  Isn't that human nature.

Esteemed Contributor

They would entice more customers if they brought more exciting products than drinking wine. You bring wine when you're trying to promote interest and excitement. It does neither.. 

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Since "prude" refers to someone overly concerned with another's sexuality or lack of modesty, I agree you're not a prude.  

I think, actually, you are a judgmental person who comes to very wild conclusions, and generalizes or exaggerates consequences for very ordinary actions. 

Watching the hosts have a glass of wine while presenting products does not lend itself to all women or even some women being moved to join with wine at all, let alone "drink the rest of the evening". It doesn't promote alcoholism any more than being able to buy alcohol or wine in retail stores promotes it.

I can see people drink and not want to drink or think I should drink. Women who don't drink aren't any more likely to buy the products the hosts are selling while sipping and they aren't any more likely to pour a glass of wine and then finish the bottle "as seen in TV".

It's quite OK to feel and say it's not necessary to drink or to apply your standards of decorum to hosts' behavior in the merits of your own level of affront.  You can just think it's wrong or simply disapprove. And you can hold yourself as an example of how often or not you believe people should drink or specifically diabetics should drink. But projecting that this is an offensive thing to watch because you assert it could cause others to engage in something you clearly disapprove of is smug and insincere. 

Here is a definition you should recognize:

a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner.

That's a prig, not a prude. 

preach it, sister! can I get a bg AMEN?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

It was prohibited in my workplace. It doesn't bother me if the hosts sip wine as part of a show. 

Just curious: what kind of work did you do?