Trusted Contributor

I am far from being a prude, however....

[ Edited ]

I truly am not a prude woman, and am usually very open-

minded.But after all of this time, I am no longer able to tolerate 

all of the wine drinking etc., in the evenings. Why is it

necessary to drink while selling products?

One weekday I saw two host selling fashion, it was in the

very early evening, maybe 6:00 p.m. I can't tolerate it now

as it is not a good thing.

Before I became a diabetic, I had a social drink on special

occassions. Maybe 4 a year. But now I am more conscious

of the drinking problems in America especially with women.

When the hosts hold their drinks, take sips and talk, I worry 

that women at home will be moved to join it, then drink 

the rest of the evenings. I fear it will promote alcholism.

WHY must they drink wine etc? Wha tdoes that have to do  

with selling products?

QVC standards are so relaxed these days, but I find this

addition to hosting will cause women to drink who normally 

might not.

I think the Q should think about standards for their viewers 

as well.

Super Contributor

Re: I am far from being a prude, however....

I completely agree with you! I saw that (drinking) last night and it really bothered me. I also enjoy an occasional glass of wine but I don't think it's appropriate on QVC fashion shows. Please QVC, reel it in a little!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@keithsmom65 When we have a personal investment with an action, it is normal that we have an opinion, perhaps strong opinion, regarding that action.....in this case drinking wine on tv while selling.  Experiences determine our perspectives and I can understand why you feel the way you do.  There are people that have not had your medical condition (or maybe do) and will think differently.

For me, I'm concerned about our country right now. That is a priority in my life...my family and my country.  The drinking is not an issue for me...one way or the other. I haven't had your experience as a diabetic, but I can see why you would consider this is a problem. I can understand your concern and I wish you the best of health.  We do not have any control over what happens on the show, it will be determined by what generates sales for the product.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I highly doubt a TV host drinking something is going to promote alcoholism. Seriously.

Trusted Contributor

Since "prude" refers to someone overly concerned with another's sexuality or lack of modesty, I agree you're not a prude.  

I think, actually, you are a judgmental person who comes to very wild conclusions, and generalizes or exaggerates consequences for very ordinary actions. 

Watching the hosts have a glass of wine while presenting products does not lend itself to all women or even some women being moved to join with wine at all, let alone "drink the rest of the evening". It doesn't promote alcoholism any more than being able to buy alcohol or wine in retail stores promotes it.

I can see people drink and not want to drink or think I should drink. Women who don't drink aren't any more likely to buy the products the hosts are selling while sipping and they aren't any more likely to pour a glass of wine and then finish the bottle "as seen in TV".

It's quite OK to feel and say it's not necessary to drink or to apply your standards of decorum to hosts' behavior in the merits of your own level of affront.  You can just think it's wrong or simply disapprove. And you can hold yourself as an example of how often or not you believe people should drink or specifically diabetics should drink. But projecting that this is an offensive thing to watch because you assert it could cause others to engage in something you clearly disapprove of is smug and insincere. 

Here is a definition you should recognize:

a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner.

That's a prig, not a prude. 

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I highly doubt a TV host drinking something is going to promote alcoholism. Seriously.

I'll drink to that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of the many potential sources of worry or anxiety, sorry, but unlikely ramifications of hosts purporting to drink wine during presentations is so not among them. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This  subject has came up many times , i agree with the poster , but my problem is that it just looks silly holding those glasses every show , if it was a  special holiday , like New Years Eve, i would get it. I don't even know if it is wine in the glasses. Side Note this may sound silly , but if the hosts are  stopped on the way home for what ever reason , is QVC libel for having alcohol in their system. I forgot to add, what job are you allowed to drink on the job ?

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Of the many potential sources of worry or anxiety, sorry, but unlikely ramifications of hosts purporting to drink wine during presentations is so not one of them. 

Unless of course my pantry needs restocking.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes...so many times with the wine glasses.....just never really saw the reasoning behind it.....