Honored Contributor

Re: How to measure for a bra

Based on the comments here, I suspect that manufacturers aren't sizing bras correctly or uniformly  ..... it's not us ... it's THEM.  Woman Mad

Why do I say this?  Because as women with all sorts of "figure flaws" and "problem areas", most of us have been in enough fitting rooms with 3 way mirrors to know what to look for ... and what to avoid.   We KNOW how to find the one that fits right.  

I've tried on enough pairs of slacks, blazers, blouses etc etc to find the one that fits me.    It's not the same with bras.   Since true sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer .... and even with different styles of the same brand ....  it's like trying to hit a moving target that is not only constantly moving but also changing shape!

Personally ...  I think it's an absolute MIRACLE that 20% of women manage to find the right bra!    

It's not us ... it's THEM that has the sizing problem!

(Whew ... it felt good to get that off my chest!  LOL  Woman LOL)

Valued Contributor

I'm going to let you all in on a secret.  As a larger busted woman, for many years I struggled with finding the right bra.  Nothing fit.  Everything was uncomfortable.  D cups caused spillage.  I never had a bra that fit me correctly. I just accepted it and figured there was nothing I could do about it.  

About ten years ago, I decided to try shopping online for a bra and found this website.  When I tell you it was the answer to my prayers I am not exaggerating.  They offer so much information on how to go about measuring yourself for a proper fit. It was a revelation.  Once you figure out your bra size, they then break it down further to something called Universal Cup Siizing because, for example, all D cups are not created equal. They not only vary among manufacturers, they vary by American, UK and European cup sizes.  We know it's all enough to drive us up a wall. With the UCS a D3 is a D3 is a D3 across the board.  Once you know your UCS, pretty much any bra you chose will fit. After that, you can further parse it down into what bras work best for your body type. For me it turned out that bandless bras were my friend. 

i just want to tell you what a game changer this was for me.  For the first time in my life I had a bra that actually fit without me spilling out of it.  Not to mention how great I looked in my clothes.  I literally looked like I lost 20 lbs.  

If you are interested in checking out the website, here's the link.  

Herroom dot com. 

Respected Contributor

@Linda0215 wrote:

I'm going to let you all in on a secret.  As a larger busted woman, for many years I struggled with finding the right bra.  Nothing fit.  Everything was uncomfortable.  D cups caused spillage.  I never had a bra that fit me correctly. I just accepted it and figured there was nothing I could do about it.  

About ten years ago, I decided to try shopping online for a bra and found this website.  When I tell you it was the answer to my prayers I am not exaggerating.  They offer so much information on how to go about measuring yourself for a proper fit. It was a revelation.  Once you figure out your bra size, they then break it down further to something called Universal Cup Siizing because, for example, all D cups are not created equal. They not only vary among manufacturers, they vary by American, UK and European cup sizes.  We know it's all enough to drive us up a wall. With the UCS a D3 is a D3 is a D3 across the board.  Once you know your UCS, pretty much any bra you chose will fit. After that, you can further parse it down into what bras work best for your body type. For me it turned out that bandless bras were my friend. 

i just want to tell you what a game changer this was for me.  For the first time in my life I had a bra that actually fit without me spilling out of it.  Not to mention how great I looked in my clothes.  I literally looked like I lost 20 lbs.  

Herroom dot com. 

@Linda0215   I love Her Room. They have a huge selection of bras (as well as other lingerie) in all sizes and price ranges. In addition to what you've indicated, I like being able to pull the bra reviews for MY size only. While I may glean some useful information from reviews of other women, I first check what women who wear my size have to say about a bra. I like that they have overlays to show how a bra will look under different types of tops. But I get a real kick out of the "bounce test" for sports bras. Thanks for mentioning them. 

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Linda0215 wrote:

Herroom dot com. 

@Linda0215   I love Her Room. They have a huge selection of bras (as well as other lingerie) in all sizes and price ranges. In addition to what you've indicated, I like being able to pull the bra reviews for MY size only. While I may glean some useful information from reviews of other women, I first check what women who wear my size have to say about a bra. I like that they have overlays to show how a bra will look under different types of tops. But I get a real kick out of the "bounce test" for sports bras. Thanks for mentioning them. 

You're welcome!  I've had such great success with the bras I've bought from them I feel like I want everyone to have the same experience.  My go to bras are Elomi bandless.  It's a great website.  I love the overlays too. I've had bras that peeked up out of my shirts.  Not a good look!

Honored Contributor

They sometimes say: "Take your band measurments and look on the chart" for whatever-whatever'.....I don't understand it. 

Last time I looked/checked/measured, it didn't make any sense.

I recall a hundred years ago, we had to add several inches to our band size. 

Now-a-days, I just guess. 

Well, shopping in person helps.  I just know what 'my size' is, more or less.

I used to take my tape measure with me, now that I'm thinking about it.  Duplicated the size of my bras at home that fit me the best. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).