Esteemed Contributor

How about verifying purchases for reviews

[ Edited ]

I don't know how many times I've seen reviews for a product, I stead of viewing real reviews from customers who have actually purchase the item, I see comments and statements about their feelings for the product. I'm looking for a bona fide review from someone who is seen, touched, and/or wore the item. There are comments about Candace Cameron Bure's religious views, comments about not liking various products and food items from those who either can't eat them, or don't like the ingredients. Hello?! Why can't the Q set up a system that actually verifies buyers? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How about verifying purchases for reviews

@Effie54 

I absolutely agree with you.  The have such an antiquated system that is responsible for many of their problems. 

Honored Contributor

@Effie54    You're beating A dead horse.  We've complained about illegitimate reviews for years and have suggested improvements.  It's an issue management chooses to not address.  They really do have more important issues.....like staying in business.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Effie54 

I totally agree.  As I said in a previous thread, I want to see reviews not opinions.

It just dawned on me that when I write a product review, I tap the "write a review" tab and proceed.  For me, this tab is only found on the Order Status page in My Account.

If I tap the "write a review" tab that's not in Order Status, it takes me there.  I don't see how they are doing it.

I have the app installed.  Maybe that's why.  Just curious. 

Valued Contributor

Amazon verifies on their book reviews.

Honored Contributor

They stopped that many, many years ago and they aren't going back. Probably because it would take too much work for too little return.  Reviews are 100% subjective anyway so you can't really count on them.

Honored Contributor

Sure, it'd be nice if reviews actually talked about the product. It'll never happen. There isn't a system around that controls people (thank goodness).

Reviews on most sites are handled and monitored by a third party algorhythm. If it meets requirements in the algorhythm, it's posted. I just ignore the ones that don't review the product. It doesn't affect the lives of anyone so I don't really care. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes!

I agree!!! It messes up the review numbers. I read reviews all the time from people who obviously have no first hand knowledge about the products. 

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

That would be nice but it isn't going to happen. Most review systems are third party owned. If comments fit within the algorhythm, they're published.

IMO, I really don't care. This is a 1st world problem and so low on my list of things to even begin to care about. It's easy to ignore the reviews that don't offer real information. They may skew the percentages a little but it's not a life altering concern to me. 

Contributor

Since so many companies are being accused of compensating for good reviews, does verification really matter??? (Hopefully Q would not adopt such a dispicable practice.) I remember the good ole days ordering from companies like Spiegel, for instance, you could count on quality AND reviews. The ONLY way to know that you are getting a quality product these days is to buy in-person. This is really sad for people who have difficulty getting out to shop.