Respected Contributor

Re: How about some nice dinnerware, sophisticated not cutsey

[ Edited ]

I have decided I will NEVER need to buy another dish, cup, sauce, bowls-covered or not, or soup tureens....

I have my OWN china closet full of dishes I never use, and I inherited my Mom's who inherited it from my grandmother.

I am 67.

I have decided****wait for it**** to USE that china in the cabinets!!!

We have been brainwashed into thinking it's not sturdy, it has to be handled very carefully, not even breathed on...these are stories from the dish industry who want to sell us NEW imported stuff every year that can "go in the dishwasher".( LIke that's some criteria we should base our purchases on)..

I'm going to use up the china I have. It's pretty, Limoges and Gorham...real gold or silver edges on a lot of it, some dainty, all useful, all pretty.

And....if I use a piece and it breaks...I think, if a fine china piece COULD talk, it would say..

"I broke being USED and I DON'T CARE!!!!!......

I've been collecting dust in that china cabinet for 40-70 years, only taken out for "fancy occasions"....while I sit watching while Othereeen keeps buying cheap, made in China stuff that lasts no longer that I would if someone would just USE me!!!"

So I use it!!!

If it breaks, o well. There's a LOT more where that came from!!

I started this plan over a year ago and to date, have not broken ONE plate, cup, saucer. I guess I'm just not clumsy or careless.

I live alone and at 67, I figure it may take til the end of my life to use most of it up. My Mom died at 95, so it should carry me thru!!!

Enjoy whatever you use....BUT...if you're saving dishes for some far off day, I'd say use it NOW. It's pretty for just you to eat off, and it's a lot sturdier than you think!!! You're worth it....YOU can be specialat lunch TODAY!!

And PS....have you TRIED to wash it in the dishwasher? Do you KNOW it won't survive?

Try one piece. Test that theory. 

If it's the Temptations saleslady telling you it can't be done, well, she has incentive doesn't she?

Don't forget...you "need a new mattress" every 8 years ( but they have a 10 year warranty?) and you need a whole new wardrobe every three months ( the average length of seasons if you live in a four season climate..)... you NEED a new winter coat every fall, and new shoes every 15 days. ....and all new bedding every holiday for your "guests" ( including the mattress!!!) Can't have guests sleep on CLEAN sheets from your linen closet!!!!

Come on now....

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife 

Thanks for setting me straight. I stopped watching the presentations after I purchased one piece many years ago and couldn't believe the sloppy painting on the bowl I purchased. Paint was smeared so bad I returned it and never watched or bought again.

Yes, I know many shows have an hour long presentation but I won't stay tuned for an hour on something I have no interest in.

Honored Contributor

The last consignment store I was in three days ago had complete dinnerware sets for $50.00.  Thrift stores also are very reasonable.  Why spend hundreds?  I have my beloved aunt's set, and every move I lug it along.  Do I use it?  No, because it has a gold rim and can't take the dishwasher or the microwave.  

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@RespectLife 

Thanks for setting me straight. I stopped watching the presentations after I purchased one piece many years ago and couldn't believe the sloppy painting on the bowl I purchased. Paint was smeared so bad I returned it and never watched or bought again.

Yes, I know many shows have an hour long presentation but I won't stay tuned for an hour on something I have no interest in.

@Catch71 

IMHO, it is def not a 'high end' line.....sometimes you get what you pay for I guess!

Regular Contributor

QVC online carries many brands of dishes . Plug in tableware in the search bar and you will be surprised to see what they sell . I my self have purchased a few sets.

Enjoy !!

Regular Contributor

Enter dinnerware , it works better . My mistake .

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

I have decided I will NEVER need to buy another dish, cup, sauce, bowls-covered or not, or soup tureens....

I have my OWN china closet full of dishes I never use, and I inherited my Mom's who inherited it from my grandmother.

I am 67.

I have decided****wait for it**** to USE that china in the cabinets!!!

We have been brainwashed into thinking it's not sturdy, it has to be handled very carefully, not even breathed on...these are stories from the dish industry who want to sell us NEW imported stuff every year that can "go in the dishwasher".( LIke that's some criteria we should base our purchases on)..

I'm going to use up the china I have. It's pretty, Limoges and Gorham...real gold or silver edges on a lot of it, some dainty, all useful, all pretty.

And....if I use a piece and it breaks...I think, if a fine china piece COULD talk, it would say..

"I broke being USED and I DON'T CARE!!!!!......

I've been collecting dust in that china cabinet for 40-70 years, only taken out for "fancy occasions"....while I sit watching while Othereeen keeps buying cheap, made in China stuff that lasts no longer that I would if someone would just USE me!!!"

So I use it!!!

If it breaks, o well. There's a LOT more where that came from!!

I started this plan over a year ago and to date, have not broken ONE plate, cup, saucer. I guess I'm just not clumsy or careless.

I live alone and at 67, I figure it may take til the end of my life to use most of it up. My Mom died at 95, so it should carry me thru!!!

Enjoy whatever you use....BUT...if you're saving dishes for some far off day, I'd say use it NOW. It's pretty for just you to eat off, and it's a lot sturdier than you think!!! You're worth it....YOU can be specialat lunch TODAY!!

And PS....have you TRIED to wash it in the dishwasher? Do you KNOW it won't survive?

Try one piece. Test that theory. 

If it's the Temptations saleslady telling you it can't be done, well, she has incentive doesn't she?

Don't forget...you "need a new mattress" every 8 years ( but they have a 10 year warranty?) and you need a whole new wardrobe every three months ( the average length of seasons if you live in a four season climate..)... you NEED a new winter coat every fall, and new shoes every 15 days. ....and all new bedding every holiday for your "guests" ( including the mattress!!!) Can't have guests sleep on CLEAN sheets from your linen closet!!!!

Come on now....

I also have more dinnerware than I could ever use..most inherited..

1 of my DILs said she would love a complete set of good china..I told her to look in the bottom of my china cabinet..I told her nothing there could be used in the microwave..

I was thrilled when she asked for a full service for 12 of English bone china and serving pieces!

We wrapped and boxed up everything before she changed her mind!..LOL..Less for that big dumpster one day!

Honored Contributor

I like some Temptations, but I would love to see some new Dinnerware come to the Q. Sophisticated, and elegant, not whimsical....Also some new pots and pan sets, with affordable pricing would be nice to see as well.