Super Contributor

Hosts that sounds frantic like they are melting down.

Honestly, it is hard to listen to this tenor, it is not relaxing. This one hosts sounds like she is on the brink on a melt down almost shakey in her voice. This is all the time. QVC should   send some of these  hosts to speech classes justto learn some tips about breathing, pausing, whatever.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts that sounds frantic like they are melting down.

Host who is on right now unable to watch because of exactly what you said. 

Hesitated saying anything because people might mistake my experience as bashing her and I am not. Years ago required attending seminar on the voice. 

Focused on the effects produced when speaking especially in business. 

Pitch, Power, breathing as well pauses. Do agree lessons are needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Thebig I  @Sweet_Serenity  Mary is among the the best hosts on QVC. Her sentence structure is top-notch. No made-up words or oohs, ahhs, or drawn out pauses while she tries to put together strange made-up words like another host. She is well prepared and her grammar is impeccable. Her voice is smooth, calming and well-modulated.

Mary always looks directly at her guests and calls them by name! She has grace and manners. I don't see any other host doing that. It's common courtesy to address the person you are speaking to by name. 

She speaks from her diaphram, which is exactly how all speach coaches teach their students. Mary has been on radio for years; she is truly a professional. She's one of the few hosts I am able to watch.

So many of the hosts butcher the English language or are content to use slang "Buddy" (rather than the vendors name), "bucks" rather than dollars, "yea" rather than yes, the list goes on and on. It is embarrasing and humilitiating as a viewer for their vendors. They lack common courtesy and manners. There is no attempt to be professional in their demeanor or treat their guests with respect.

Watch her some more and pay attention to her mannerisms. Mary is a blue-blood among the hosts at QVC. She is always well-dressed and polished. Perhaps you don't know good taste, speech and presentation when it's in front of you? Hosts have provided viewers with mediocre for so many years, we've forgotten what an excellent host is capable of providing on a daily basis! Frankly, it's a refreshing change to have quality and professionalism. I enjoy Mary a lot. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady.  To which of the two Marys are you referring?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624Mary Nelson came from radio. Mary D. is a QVC employee who applied for a show host . . . and doing a great job, also. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Love Mary D. Hope that is who @BirkiLady is talking about.

Valued Contributor

Just wondering, was it the host with short blonde hair that loves to exercise?

Honored Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

Just wondering, was it the host with short blonde hair that loves to exercise?

Kerstin Lindquist

Trusted Contributor

AMEN AMEN AMEN......SPEECH CLASSES.

Respected Contributor

Mary Nelson was the host on at 1:00 EST this morning. @BirkiLady if you are referring to Mary Nelson in your post, then I must say we all have our opinions and I disagree that Mary Nelson is among QVC's best. Her voice and the fact that she claps her words constantly drives me bananas. I do not understand why she does that, but it is so aggravating to me. When she starts clapping I know it is time for me to turn the channel.