Esteemed Contributor

Hosts please state the full price of item, not just the easy pay!!

[ Edited ]

I  would like to request the host state the FULL PRICE of the item they are selling ,rather than the  easy pay amt...............

The hosts are  saying get it home for only $10  and then you have to mentally add up the  5 easy pays yourself  to get the actual price.Some people do not know this!!!

This is a problem if you are old and cannot see the screen (which BTW,you have in such light  contrasting colors that it is hard to read prices)  I have to actually get up and go to the tv to see the price or if you are new and think that is the whole price!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hosts please state the full price of item, not just the easy pay!!

I agree with you 100%.  To me it is pure and simple deceit.  Sure, I can see the screen and figure it out, but how many people cannot?

Respected Contributor

Agree 100%.  This practice does not show QVC in a good light.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have to agree with this.  Lately I've heard the hosts more and more often saying "and you can get this home for just $10" or "it only costs you $10 to get this home".

No, it doesn't!  I think that's a deliberate selling ploy and it's wrong.  I had the TV on the other day and heard something like that and thought "Wow!  That's a great price."  Until I realized it was only the first of several EZPays.  And I'm neither old nor visually challenged.

OTOH, I was totally shocked to hear one of the hosts just a couple of days ago (think it was Jayne Brown) say the full price "plus shipping and handling" and then state the EZpay offer.  Now that's how the prices should be stated.  No smoke and mirrors there.

Esteemed Contributor

I so agree with you - it totally irks me when I hear the ezpay amount repeated and repeated.  It's almost touching close to being

Fraud - Misrepresentation - Bait and Switch.   Having worked with lawyers - I think an issue could be made against this practice.

Trusted Contributor

To me this is complaining for the sake of complaining!  The full price of the item is on the banner taking up nearly 1/4 of the screen, well placed at the left side. It can be viewed for all the time the item is being presented.  Price is always in white set off against a dark contrasting color, which is red in the case of TSV. How hard is all that to see?

By your standards, @MalteseMomma, you need them to state the full price constantly for sight impaired folks, and they'd have to YELL the full price for those hard of hearing, and say it very slowly for people whose English might not be good enough to catch right away, and maybe the host could stop for a minute so others with memory problems could sensibly write it down. You say you want this help for older viewers, so it will be enhanced with geriatric selling techniques, customized for all impairments or deficiencies. Then younger shoppers can write in screaming how repetitious it is hearing the full price yapped out every minute! 

I'm laughing!.  Full price is obviously stated quite often and also shown on screen; the hosts emphasize the Easy Pay to encourage the purchase (yes, they're selling stuff!) and there is a reasonable balance of how often they mention the full price and the Easy Pay breakdown. 

Sometimes it's just fine to accept accept the pitch, watch the screen, and if you have to mentally add up the easy pay amounts, then suffer the difficult math, multiplying by 2, 3, 4 or 5. I'm reasonably old and I can still add and multiply without whining about not being spoon fed information out loud that's visible through the whole pitch.

Now let 30 people jump all over me because I think this complaint was really petty. Everyone is free to express an opinion, but this forum shows complaints that get very granular often. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

To me this is complaining for the sake of complaining!  The full price of the item is on the banner taking up nearly 1/4 of the screen, well placed at the left side. It can be viewed for all the time the item is being presented.  Price is always in white set off against a dark contrasting color, which is red in the case of TSV. How hard is all that to see?

I respectfully disagree.  There have been plenty of times I've been watching, when the info displayed is not showing the full price, but a comparative price or nothiing at all, other than sizes.

Yes, everyone should be able, at some point, to ascertain the full price, but that doesn't excuse this habit the hosts have gotten into (I'm sure at the direction of the PTB) of stating an EZpay amount as what it will cost "to get it home".  That's deceptive.

JMO and I respect your different opinion.

(ETA:  BTW, I didn't think your reply to MalteseMomma was very respectful; quite the opposite.)

Honored Contributor

It is absolutely not bait and switch - they always show the full price and the ez pay price on the screen.  I mean really.

Honored Contributor

It's annoying, but only mildly so to me -  I do think anyone old and responsible enough to have a credit card can figure out the whole price.  I don't think everyone buying from QVC or any site is all that stupid -  we know the gimmicks whether they are mentioning EZPay or shilling free shipping or whatever.  Seems to be there's a whole "shopping-channel speak" on every channel and we all have to deal with it.

Super Contributor

I think it would be better if they mentioned the full price at some point in the presentation. It does sound a little manipulative to only mention the easy pay and they don't usually  add in the shipping when they do that which becomes even more manipulative.

I like it better when they seem sincere and helpful rather than manupulative and hard sell - but maybe that's just me.