Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts need to be able to pronounce

Yes, they should know how to pronounce what they're selling.  

I'm curious - how was she pronouncing it though?

Honored Contributor

They were selling a bread machine and the vendor was talking about the types of bread and kept calling it artisian and not artisan. Sometimes these vendors are nervous and can make mistakes.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I've never heard of Wamsutta and don't know how to pronounce it.  Yes, it would be appropriate if people correctly pronounced the name of a person or product.  I just don't understand why people get worked up over something they can't control.   

I wouldn't exactly called it worked up. 

I would call it making a point. 

QVC is selling a line of products that has been in existence for over 100 years and while I'm sure some aren't familiar with the brand, it has been well known in the textile industry. I have had Wamsutta sheets and towels for many decades.

QVC capitalizes on the fact that a company has a long history, and uses that as part of their sales pitch. Even though this is supposedly the first time Wamsutta has been at Q, they totally embarrass themselves when multipe hosts, many many times, mispronounce the company name (not to mention the vendor's), even after the vendor says it repeatedly in front of them. 

QVC is a company that wants to pride themselves on being above the others. They pride themselves on giving the customer what other retailers no longer do....product knowledge, quality, and time to explore and understand the product and the brand.

Well, in not knowing the company's name, the vendor's name, and not just once mind you, but all day long in the presentations, and over and over and over in those presentations, they fall short of their goals and their mission. 

So I don't suppose a post on a community board in that company's suggestion box can 'control' anything, but it can bring to the attention of the powers that be, that customers notice these things,  and find it inexcusable.

It does indeed lead to a lack of trust. If you can't pronounce the brand because you didn't prepare, how could you expect me to believe the sales pitch you give about it? If the hosts didn't learn the name, I don't really think they learned the product, it's manufacturing processes, how it differs from other brands or types of this item, how it will last, and all the other things we tune it to presentations to learn. 

One of the reasons QVC has been so successful is that people get to 'see and experience' the products, have questions answered (you know, like back in the day when you went to a store and the clerks actually knew the products and would actually sell them to you), and get a detailed explanation of the products features, composition, past sales, longevity etc. 

But when multiple hosts can't even get the name brand right, it kind of undermines the entire experience, and that in turn effects sales. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Yes, they should know how to pronounce what they're selling.  

I'm curious - how was she pronouncing it though?

@Bri36

Stacey kept saying it like Wam Soooota. And Jayne Brown just never got the word out completely and kept asking the vendor to help her with it.

I get that a new vendor with a really tricky last name (and this lady did have a name I'd never want to tackle without some practice!) will happen, and that isn't so bad. But the brand is what QVC is selling and trying to convince us is so long standing, such great quality that it actually qualifies to be on the air, but hey...we can't pronounce it!

Respected Contributor

ITA with OP re: being able to pronounce the product name correctly.  It bothers me just like the newbie host who can't pronounce cotton or button correctly.....she seems to have no problem with other words with "t's" in them (I've heard to pronounce "better" correctly), but cannot seem to get those two simple words right......couldn't sleep the other night and listened to her two-hour C Wonder show.....it got to be funny after a while since she said cah-un about 500 times.....ended up being comical to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Not only is correct brand pronunciation imperative during the presentations, but how unprofessional of the hosts!!  And why, isn't the guy/gal in their ear not correcting the hosts??

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Not only is correct brand pronunciation imperative during the presentations, but how unprofessional of the hosts!!  And why, isn't the guy/gal in their ear not correcting the hosts??

@corita. Because they don't know either! No one there cares about pronunciation, how anyone dresses, etc. as long as it sells that is what's important to QVC. Do you see what some of the hosts and vendors look like when they are at work regarding clothes, hair and makeup? 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I've never heard of Wamsutta and don't know how to pronounce it.  Yes, it would be appropriate if people correctly pronounced the name of a person or product.  I just don't understand why people get worked up over something they can't control.   

We can control it if we expect that professionals do their job and contact management when they don't.  Poor work skils hurt all by lowering standards and expectations of businesses, retailers and service providers. 

It's a lazy, who cares, whatever world when we don't demand that standards are kept up. And we get what we deserve if we don't.  Sloppy service, broke products, shoddy things we pay hard earned money for, service reps that show up late, etc. etc. etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@HULAGIRL, I totally agree! I use this argument all the time. If you can say one word with the same sound, then you should be able to say any. Those particular 2 are my biggest pet peeves. Just hate hearing it.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree that they should pronounce the product names correctly as well as the vendor's name.   They should also know about the product.  I have heard of Wamsutta for nearly 50 years.  I've heard a few "mistakes" lately and no one corrects the error.   Times have sure changed on QVC.  Not the quality or value it was when I first became a shopper in the 90's.