Honored Contributor

Hosts need to be able to pronounce

the brands they are sellling.

Wamsutta is a very old brand, and not really all that difficult to pronounce, but all day on Q2, the hosts have butchered it (as well as the vendor's last name) when doing the presentations. 

Stacey mispronounced it from the first airing, over and over again, then tonight when Jane went live again, she couldn't say the brand repeatedly as well.

I know they present a lot of products, but this is a very old brand and I thought well known. Hosts need to do some homework and at least be able to say the brand name they are selling.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts need to be able to pronounce

The only host I see who consistently does her preparation for her shows is Jill.  The others could take a lesson from her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

At the end of the day it's all about sales, not whether you pronouce a name correctly or not.  Not many people care one way or another how a word is pronounced.  In this world presentation is a thing of the past.  No time for correctness.  Especially on a program designed for sellling items in a limited amount of time.  Jill is somewhat of a perfectionist and cares about being correct in her job.  At least that's how she comes across.  So she would probably be one to prepare. 

Honored Contributor

I generally let a lot of things slide because it's truly just a shopping channel, but I have to admit I heard the mispronunciation of Wamsutta and I had the same reaction as the OP.  I even said out loud "Oh, for heaven's sake, it's pronounced.....!"  And then I switched the channel.

I have to agree that I think a lot of sloppiness has crept into the presentations in the last couple of years.  It shouldn't be asking too much that the hosts do some preparation before going on air.

Honored Contributor

It is inexcusable that names of vendors, products, or techniques (such as on cooking shows) are not pronounced correctly.  If they can't even get that right, I have no confidence in the products they are selling.

Honored Contributor

When I worked in the primary metals business, one of our competitors was Pechiney (French company).    I had to learn that pronounciation on the job......it was required.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's an insult to the vendor when it happens more than once by any host.  Just proves the hosts don't prepare.  If QVC doesn't require quality presentations from their hosts, it shows they don't require it on any level.  Just another example you can't trust QVC for quality any longer.

Super Contributor

I totally agree with all the above comments.

Spelling, grammmar and correct pronunciation DO matter!

When someone makes their living by speaking, I would think they would actually give a cr*p about it.

But this is not what I see on the Q.  It's lazy and pathetic.

Honored Contributor

The same is expected from anyone who works in front of the camera 🎥  or microphone 🎤  for a living: news reporters, weather personnel, radio 📻 , etc.  Several have held these positions prior to coming to the Q so not sure of the problem.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of Wamsutta and don't know how to pronounce it.  Yes, it would be appropriate if people correctly pronounced the name of a person or product.  I just don't understand why people get worked up over something they can't control.