Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hosts need to be able to pronounce

Wow,I don't think Wamsutta is that hard to pronounce.  I must be a genius,ya think. And if I didn't know how to pronounce something I wanted to SELL to people I would certainly take the short time needed to LEARN how. It's my JOB, but no one cares obviously.

I didnt see the presentations,my family room tv is kaput. I don't like watching tv in our bedroom. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

I guess I don't know how to pronounce "Wamsutta" either! I tried looking it up but am getting nowhere.

Please tell us how to pronounce it.  I just assumed it was "Wam-soo-tah," but that's wrong, eh?  I think it's one of those words I have read but never heard!  lol

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the hosts should known how to pronounce the names of the products they are selling. I notice the new hosts are not skilled enough to do a show without their cards on each item at their fingertips.. I have to say though, there are very educated people who have trouble pronouncing certain words and most names that have too many vowels. My husband used to correct my grammar and I would correct him on word and name pronunciation. I speak Polish by the way so I can pronounce just about anything.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Watched Courtney K. recently. She doesn't have any trouble pronouncing words nor understand the meanings. I saw her on with Cameron Silver, Halston. 

Courtney did the news in South Carolina. This young lady has it all to make a fantastic host. It's hard to believe she's a newbie. I hope the Q doesn't spoil her. 

Super Contributor

At one time the hosts didnt have any vendors to do half of the presentation and information. As I recall, they had always prepared. Today, not so much!

Esteemed Contributor

Wamsutta is pronounced wahm - suh'- tuh

with the "u" a short vowel in both the second and third syllables.

The brand has been around for years. How the hosts could mess up is beyond me. Don't they ask someone if they don't know how to pronounce a word or name? How hard is that?

Trusted Contributor

I agree.  You can google the name and ask how to prononce it.  You will hear

someone actually say it and you can be more savy in presenting the product.

Would only take a few minutes to do.  Too bad no one thought of that.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

At the end of the day it's all about sales, not whether you pronouce a name correctly or not.  Not many people care one way or another how a word is pronounced.  In this world presentation is a thing of the past.  No time for correctness.  Especially on a program designed for sellling items in a limited amount of time.  Jill is somewhat of a perfectionist and cares about being correct in her job.  At least that's how she comes across.  So she would probably be one to prepare. 

I am not writing this to pick on you directly, but because some of what you wrote states so clearly that whenever we start condoning errors, that errors only become more and more prevalent.   Shouldn't we want better representation and better spelling and better prononuciation and a higher standard altogether?  

The time for "correctness" is in the preparation for the program, not while on air.  That is part of anyone's job.  Sure, they are hired partially on how they can cover mistakes during air time, but careful preparation is equally as important.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor

Don't they have any briefings before presentation?

Host should be more prepared before presantation and producers should correct them if something is not right.

I always wonder why no one tells them and fix it quickly when someone's mic is catching their hair and making noise.

Contributor

Well tell us--HOW did they pronounce it??? I would love to hear so I can laugh!