Super Contributor

Re: Host bashing is bullying

@blueroses47 wrote:

It's just my opinion, but I think the term "bullying" has gotten way out of hand.  Today if you say anything negative about anyone it's "bullying", and I don't think that what bullying is, at all.  To bully someone is very different.

To post something negative about a host might be unkind, and mean-spirited, but it isn't bullying.

I think that people still should be able to voice their opinions, there is still such a thing as freedom of speech.  No matter how unpleasant we find it, it still should be allowed.

If a conversation is not to your liking, don't take part.

I do understand why the moderaters delete things when they get too out of hand.  It's in respect and protection of their hosts, co-workers.

Agree and disagree with you.

First, "bullying" is not always the case. If a host isn't doing his or her job well and people comment on that, this is important feedback for QVC. However, cruel, unhelpful snide remarks and others that I've read *are* bullying.

Secondly, there is no "freedom of speech" here nor should posters have expectations of it. This is a company's message board, and it rules supreme on what is allowed or not allowed. And this should be the case. You can't, as a corporation, allow people to come on your forums and post unfettered comments. This isn't an anything-goes site ... if that's what people want, I suggest Reddit or many other places for voicing opinions without restraint.

Tying this last point back to the first, as a company, QVC can't allow its employees to be attacked on a its forums. That is a hostile workplace environment, and hosts/employees would rightfully have grievances against the Q and could sue.

Finally, I'm not on the Forums often at all, and have seen so many posts that are just beyond decency, and I have written several valid criticisms of hosts. If you're writing something so awful that you wouldn't say it to your family members or read it aloud it your house of worship, you should rethink posting it.

IMO.

Super Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't thing we are in a position to "bully" any of the hosts or vendors.  We are expressing an opinion.  IMO, "bullying" would be more personal, face to face.  As I understand it, the hosts do not even read these forums.  Although these forums sometimes do go "off topic."

You don't believe that there is an epidemic of online bullying? There have been dozens of children killing themselves over it and lives have been ruined. Such as it is, that is the entire focus of the First Lady's "Be Best" campaign, which is end online bullying.

Super Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Most of the bashing is due to the unprofessonalism of many of the hosts.  They're more interested in entertaining and less in describing the products.  The sets they have encourages silly banter and nonsense.  QVC, take a cue from HSN. Carolyn is one of the few hosts who doesn't need and sofa and a plate of cookies or a bar with drinks to present a product.  

I've always respected Carolyn's diligence with learning products and her professionalism with presentations. It is in glaring contrast to the nonsense of most of the other shows.

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 totally agree 

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@blueroses47 

While I agree with most of your post re: use of the term 'bullying', Freedom of Speech granted by the Constitution does not apply in this case.

Yes, this is a forum after all.  We do not have to be mean, but we can still state our opinion until the moderators feel like it will hurt the hosts feelings, then it will be gone.

Respected Contributor

@bluerose

Well said, bluerose.  It's another example of correctness gone wild.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50I don't agree with your definition of bullying -  and I'd bet the family of those who commit suicide from online bullying would agree with me. 

Bullying comes face to face, on the telephone, in facebook posts, in tweets, and yes, in QVC Forums.

By the way -  I'd say exactly the above if I talked with you in person -  if I wouldn't, then I'd feel as if I'm bullying you.  As it is, I'm just disagreeing.  

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47  Posting and saying unkind or mean spirited things about someone (and often repeatedly) is exactly what bullies do - especially those who proclaim hosts should be disciplined or let go!!! 

Respected Contributor

Unkind, yes...Bullying, no. I never criticize hosts & I'd never start a thread like this either because I know I'd be responsible for causing meaningless bickering. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't thing we are in a position to "bully" any of the hosts or vendors.  We are expressing an opinion.  IMO, "bullying" would be more personal, face to face.  As I understand it, the hosts do not even read these forums.  Although these forums sometimes do go "off topic."

The Hosts do read the forums, as do their family members, neighbors and friends.  The Hosts are just not allowed to participate on the forums.

Expressing your opinion can be bullying.  if I write that EXAMPLEposter can't spell, uses poor grammar and doesn't know what she is talking about and therefore must be an idiot, IMO...that is bullying, it is also my opinion.

When someone has the opinion that a Host doesn't know how to do the job, uses incorrect grammar and pronounces words incorrectly, and is wearing an ugly dress that is also someones opinion and bullying.

We, as QVC viewers are not paid to critique the Hosts.  That is their employers job.  If something is seriously wrong, write a letter with your full signature and complain to corporate.  You don't need to point out what the Host is doing wrong in your opinion publicly.

How would you like someone to critique your job performance or your visual appearance publicly?