Honored Contributor

Re: Host bashing is bullying

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@kaydee50I don't agree with your definition of bullying -  and I'd bet the family of those who commit suicide from online bullying would agree with me. 

Bullying comes face to face, on the telephone, in facebook posts, in tweets, and yes, in QVC Forums.

By the way -  I'd say exactly the above if I talked with you in person -  if I wouldn't, then I'd feel as if I'm bullying you.  As it is, I'm just disagreeing.  

@millieshops 

I agree with you.

Further, I believe that anonymity gives some a sense of freedom from usual norms of courtesy.

* dog gone auto correct

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Sometimes what is posted is valid about the host and their behavior. Things can be said kindly but honestly in hopes that enough of the people who run the Q will read it and pay some attention to it. If there are a lot of complaints about a certain host and certain behavior, it should be looked in to, as there may be a valid reason to address it in hopes it may change and we, the consumer, can enjoy some of these shows that we used to watch. I have not watched a whole show of anything in the last 6 months due to the non professional, ridiculous ways of some of these host. I really enjoy Courtney. She doesn not come across fake or like she’s trying to hard to be cool or hip. Sometimes the “ugly” has to be brought up in order for it to be addressed.

Trusted Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I do not think it is bullying.  I think the desire to keep people from saying what they feel is not a good idea.  I miss the old days before they polled the "audience" and asked if Q employees should be able to post here.  For some strange reason, they agreed and set up moderators.  It's been police-force editing ever since then.  I think comments should be allowed and if you don't like them, it's okay to pass on by to get to the rainbows, unicorns and happy puppy-breath posts.  The tight controls are driving away more people.

---   
I disagree.  I would have zero respect for any company, that allowed a free for all, on their message boards.  

Allowing a forum, where employees, could actually be trashed, would give a terrible impression, of the company. 

Would you want to work for a company, that had public forums, where, you could bashed, without restraint?

I don't know how many people remember, but a number of years ago, HSN shut down their forums, for months, because they felt they had become out of control.  

When the HSN forums came back up, they seemed to go so strongly, in the other direction, with moderation, I think they lost most of their posters. 

These forums represent one corporation. It's not the old TWOP, style, where adults could get their jollies, acting like vicious 12 year olds. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow.  Just posting your opinions and comments is met with vitriol and venom spewing.

And I didn't even criticize a beloved host.  I only stated that in my opinion viewers and shoppers may give feedback and commentary.

But as a stupid person I guess I really don't know any better.  But I do think televsion personalities should expect to have their behavior and appearance noted.  They are, after all, entertainers and celebrities.

Valued Contributor

Stating a differing opinion is now "bullying" to those who have bastardized the language.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I think the host bashing has gotten out of hand. I don’t enjoy certain hosts as much as others but when it gets mean spirited and resorts to criticizing appearance and what I would call bullying I think that goes too far and should be immediately removed by the moderator. I enjoy these board for product recommendations and reviews but I hope this meanness stops. JMO

I agree it is bullying when it comes to hairstyles, their clothing, body size, how they eat, eyeglasses, speech.  

On the flip side, way too many posters think it's bashing or bullying if someone doesn't agree with them, offers another viewpoint, or makes a comment isn't all sugar and unicorns.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

It's just my opinion, but I think the term "bullying" has gotten way out of hand.  Today if you say anything negative about anyone it's "bullying", and I don't think that what bullying is, at all.  To bully someone is very different.

To post something negative about a host might be unkind, and mean-spirited, but it isn't bullying.

I think that people still should be able to voice their opinions, there is still such a thing as freedom of speech.  No matter how unpleasant we find it, it still should be allowed.

If a conversation is not to your liking, don't take part.

I do understand why the moderaters delete things when they get too out of hand.  It's in respect and protection of their hosts, co-workers.

IMO, "unkind and mean spirited" is a form of bullying since it's meant to be nasty, intimidating, aggressive, rude, hurtful. Mean spirited is pretty much the layperson's definition.

Constructive criticism is perfectly fine.  Disagreeing with a poster is ok.  Sadly, too many posters think a different opinion or not agreeing 100% is bullying/bashing.  

Trusted Contributor

Why is it so wrong if someone posts that they don't like a hosts' make up or hairstyle?  What's wrong with saying that you're annoyed with the way a host eats or constantly takes her glasses on and off?  If we were all friends/neighbors, we'd be saying these things to each other, but since our connection is through this message board, that's where we get to share our likes, dislikes and opinions. 

These boards are for US,  not for the hosts.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So is it employee bullying if QVC sends out a questionnaire about a host? Especially if the wording is not neutral. In my mind, revealing personal information is bullying, but as for opinions, hosts can handle them. Mods take care of the opinions that go too far.

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Why is it so wrong if someone posts that they don't like a hosts' make up or hairstyle?  What's wrong with saying that you're annoyed with the way a host eats or constantly takes her glasses on and off?  If we were all friends/neighbors, we'd be saying these things to each other, but since our connection is through this message board, that's where we get to share our likes, dislikes and opinions. 

These boards are for US,  not for the hosts.  

The wrong is that we are not all friends with the hosts and we say these things to each other, We are posting on a public forum and saying these things behinds someone back.

How would you feel if you were somewhere work related and your picture was taken and the next day your picture was posted on Facebook and strangers were saying negative things about your clothing and make-up?

Why  do I fell like I am trying to explain what is right and what is wrong to a child?  We are all adults here.  I think we should know better.