Respected Contributor

Re: High-Pitched Voices of Product Reps., Revisited

HSN has a  new Vender with Kitchen Aid for their TSV. I changed the channel for years with both QVC K .A. Venders. The newer one was just as bad. Winning bake offs was fine but could not stand as much as I tried to listen to either one of them. Love the  K.A.products and enjoy cooking shows. Michelle on HSN should do K. A. for the Q. This is an example of high pitched child like voices of venders as OP states.

Trusted Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

When I was hiring for telephone customer service agents, the first interview was via phone to determine how they would sound to a customer, grammer, speed of speech etc.  I can't understand why QVC and HSN allow hosts that talk so fast it's hard to listen to, poor grammer, sing song voices an manic behavoir.  This is all correctable with traing.

It takes time to break old habits. I have been a customer for many years and there is quite a difference in the hosts from the time they start to 10 years later. Some have let go of regional accents, some have changed their speech pattern, and all of them have gained more confidence and finally relaxed into the job. I am sure that QVC is constantly training and having the hosts watch their presentations.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

When I was hiring for telephone customer service agents, the first interview was via phone to determine how they would sound to a customer, grammer, speed of speech etc.  I can't understand why QVC and HSN allow hosts that talk so fast it's hard to listen to, poor grammer, sing song voices an manic behavoir.  This is all correctable with traing.

It takes time to break old habits. I have been a customer for many years and there is quite a difference in the hosts from the time they start to 10 years later. Some have let go of regional accents, some have changed their speech pattern, and all of them have gained more confidence and finally relaxed into the job. I am sure that QVC is constantly training and having the hosts watch their presentations.Smiley Happy

Perhaps they should be hired with all the kinks already worked out instead of QVC being the training ground for breaking habits.

Respected Contributor

Handygirl, you read my mind.   I literally cannot watch QVC anymore.  Yet, watching a TV movie with a lady's voice doesn't affect me at all.  Perhaps it's the constant octave changes in their speech as they are verbalizing non-stop.   

Part of salesmanship is to gain your attention so I noticed, they shriek and hand-clap constantly.   I can only shop on QVC.com~!

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Handygirl, you read my mind.   I literally cannot watch QVC anymore.  Yet, watching a TV movie with a lady's voice doesn't affect me at all.  Perhaps it's the constant octave changes in their speech as they are verbalizing non-stop.   

Part of salesmanship is to gain your attention so I noticed, they shriek and hand-clap constantly.   I can only shop on QVC.com~!

@seaBreeze: You said it well. They gain my attention, but they can't KEEP it!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

The high-pitched Mini-Mouse cutesy voice is ‘supposed to project innocence and honesty with these venders’.

It doesn’t and it’s nauseating.

I turn the channel.

They may be the nicest people on our earth, but I just can’t stomach listening to their sales-pitch.

Honored Contributor

I've thought about why the shopping networks would want to hire these sales reps. with over-the-top childlike voices. I believe they think this will appeal more to the millennial demographic, which they are coveting. Unfortunately, l don't think many women in that age category are watching home shopping channels-- or even buying from them online, for that matter. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

It's very easy for me to lower my voice while on the phone or speaker phone, etc.

I'm guessing it's somewhat easy for many others, too.

It's a matter of concentrating on lowering our voices.  After some practice, it becomes 'natural', so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind to our hosts

New Contributor

Exactly right!  I know that voices go higher when a person is nervous, and no doubt, the fast paced presentation of QVC is likely quite daunting.  But, even taking that into consideration, sometimes the little voices are just too much for my ears.

I have noticed this trend in general society too.  It is almost as if women are intentionally sounding weak and vulnerable as if to say, “see, I’m just a little thing, kind of sick and small; please like me; don’t be mean to me.”   I would hope all women could embrace their strength, maturity, and professionalism when appropriate and put their best foot — er— voice forward.

On the flip side, I also hate it when I call a male dominated industry (car repair, plumbing company, etc.) and a man answers barking with a gruff, mean, ready-to-fight voice.  

It’s all the same issue.... if you are selling products or services, be pleasant, confident, and professional for your customers.