Trusted Contributor

Re: High-Pitched Voices of Product Reps., Revisited

I think you hit the nail on the head. 

Spot on!

Super Contributor

So true Handygal, so true " just change the chanel", brilliant reponse dah der. Well  actually, dont ya want folks to watch?

Super Contributor

You actually can train your voice. Just like some can actually pronounce an Letters, but will only do it half the time ...... would need to think about it because it doesnt come naturally.

Honored Contributor

@YumTum wrote:

Exactly right!  I know that voices go higher when a person is nervous, and no doubt, the fast paced presentation of QVC is likely quite daunting.  But, even taking that into consideration, sometimes the little voices are just too much for my ears.

I have noticed this trend in general society too.  It is almost as if women are intentionally sounding weak and vulnerable as if to say, “see, I’m just a little thing, kind of sick and small; please like me; don’t be mean to me.”   I would hope all women could embrace their strength, maturity, and professionalism when appropriate and put their best foot — er— voice forward.

On the flip side, I also hate it when I call a male dominated industry (car repair, plumbing company, etc.) and a man answers barking with a gruff, mean, ready-to-fight voice.  

It’s all the same issue.... if you are selling products or services, be pleasant, confident, and professional for your customers.

@YumTum: You said it very well. And welcome to the forums!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Regular Contributor

Is everyone complaining about the voice quality of the actual QVC personnel, or the vendor's rep? If it's QVC people, they should give them some voice lessons or otherwise train them how to sound better.

If it's vendor reps, there isn't much QVC can do, expect maybe suggest to their Powers That Be, that they be given some coaching to help them better represent their products.

Contributor

Not only are the Product Reps voices are annoying, many of the hosts are beginning to up the voice volumn.  I now watch QVC on mute.  Yes, one can train one voice to speak in quiter and lower tones.  Also, QVC should have voice couches for the hosts.  Please.

Frequent Contributor

I am actually just as irritated, or more, recently by the voice of some of the QVC hosts.  Kerstin Lindquist speaks way too fast.  Jane Treacy is the one I turn the channel on, or mute the TV. That CONSTANT "grin" she pastes on her face and her irritating voice. Nobody smiles ALL the time! and yes we know you and your kids love theater, are/were in theater, whatever; and that Hanukkah is coming up. (But I still miss Lisa Robertson, so....).  Jennifer Coffey, Rick D really need to tone it down a couple of notches. There are still a few that I rely on to tell their honest opinion about the product. Jill, Mary Beth, love Jayne Brown.