Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had to cut 2 packages out of my mailbox in the last month

@Venezia  Well I did call local first, but they obviosly did nothing .  When I called 800 number , they had no record of it.  So that is why they told me always call and get a case number.  Local post office won't give you a case number.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Venezia  Well I did call local first, but they obviosly did nothing .  When I called 800 number , they had no record of it.  So that is why they told me always call and get a case number.  Local post office won't give you a case number.

@BalletBabe - That's true and it sounds like you have an ongoing problem with whomever is delivering your mail.  No excuse really for cramming things in like that.  Good thing that nothing was damaged (I hope).

This isn't the same thing, but one time we had a sub (for a while) who just wouldn't close the darn mailboxes.  We live rural, but on a major road, so there's no way I wanted my mail on display for anyone driving by.  Also, DH and I were driving along just past our house and one neighbor's mail was strewn all over the roadside (a very windy day).  We gathered up what we saw and put it back in the box.  You can be sure, I called the 1-800 and reported that!  Around the same time I once got 8 other household's mail in my box.  All wrapped up in a big elastic band.  I took that straight to the post office and told them what I thought.  Whoever it was, seems to have "gone".  Thankfully.  Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

I do not think this has anything to do with the posta worker being lazy, and I think it is both unfair and unreasonable to accuse the worker of this since you do not know exactly what happened.

The likely cause of the issue is the way that locked mailboxes work.  With ours, the postal carrier is able to open the fornt of all of the boxes at once to allow him to quickly fill the boxes.  From his perspective, packages fit quite easily; however, once the front is closed, and we open our individual boxes, the front is smaller, and large packages can get stuck.

Of course, the solution is to report it, and hopefully the local office will follow up with the carrier, but to call someone lazy because of a simple mistake or oversight seems just flat out wrong.

Honored Contributor

I got a bigger then usual mailbox really helps. Those little dinky ones won't hold nothing.

Respected Contributor

Ballet, we have the same type of mailbox set up as you do, also live around the corner so never know if mail is delivered or not. Wednesday is our reg mailman's day off and we all know it. Mail is delivered at 6pm and most times it is just 1 piece of junk mail. I have never experienced getting a knife out to cut your mail (LOL) but I think one day it may happen to me. I use to live back east & my mailbox was next to the front door, mailman came near noon & walked up everyone's houses in rain & snow. You would think with this new system they can deliver 20 houses at once would be faster. SMH

Trusted Contributor

@KYToby @BalletBabe  I totally agree about the construction of the mailbox. The boxes at my apartment complex have that issue. There is a shipping box size that I'm sure slides in quite easily from the top. But there's enough of a lip on the part of the mailbox that I open that  I've been very close to having to cut the package open to get it out a couple of times. A new (or inexperienced) driver may well have no clue.

Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby  I disagree with you on the mailman being lazy.  All he had to do was move his truck down about 10 feet,  and put it in one of the larger boxes.  See he would have had to get out of the truck to do that.  I had a 100.00 worth of merchandise in that package.  He is lucky I didn't damage the things inside.  Also if all boxes are full he is supposed to deliver to front door.  BUT the large boxes were all empty.  I was home and watching on my computer as I get notices when a package was delivered.  I went down right away.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE  See I don't have a choice on size.  They are installed by the city.  When you buy a home here , you have to go to the PO and get a set of keys.   I wish I could ,  might install a small shed,  so that he had no excuse to stuff anything in.  LOL   I had to cut very carefully cause I didn't want to damage what was inside.  I took it out in very small pieces.  After I got the things out of the box, then I finshed cutting the rest of it out.

I was so temped to leave in in there empty.  I should have wrote on the other end ??? Thanks for stuffing this in my mailbox, that I had to get a butcher knife to cut it out. 

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

Seems like your postal worker is a little lazy or mad at you about something.I would try to catch up with him or her to let them know the parcels need to be dissected for extraction.

Read last week where mailman in MI ( I think) dumped mail. Neighbor spotted him doing it and called police. Removed over 20 bins of undelivered mail!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Sad, I live in country suburbs got a giant mailbox and in the back of the brick tall  enclosure we had the contractor to cut out a big space for Q bags LOL

If my desktop pc wasn't damaged by the Windows 10 updates last week I'd shoot you all a pic.   I love it , so, does the mailman LOL doesn't have to come to door and ring bell. LOL