Valued Contributor

Good Grief! "Celebrity" overload

Every time I click on the website, I see another washed up "celebrity" being advertised as selling some tchotchke. Having people with name recognition does not entice me to buy some over priced item made in China, just because there is a "celebrity" attached to it. Seriously, it's insulting.

Respected Contributor

Re: Good Grief! "Celebrity" overload

Boy do I agree. Why people are so obsessed with celebrity is beyond me. I could care less and don't watch any q shows for wares sold by celebs.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love your post - and your wording because I've thought the exact same thing many times.   China junk via famous faces doesn't change it - it's still China junk.

Honored Contributor

Count me in on agreeing with all the previous comments.

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1, i totally agree. just mention that this or that celebrity is using a certain product, and people will think they have to have it because if THAT person is using it, it must be good. come on. 

Contributor

Agree also. Plus a lot of their stuff is 100% polyester. 

Valued Contributor

The same goes for over priced made in china jewlery. Just because it has someone's initials stamped in it doesn't mean they had anything to do with the design of it. The last time I checked silver was $17.00 an ounce, but you'd think it was humdreds per ounce. Not buying just because someone says they "made" it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Every time I click on the website, I see another washed up "celebrity" being advertised as selling some tchotchke. Having people with name recognition does not entice me to buy some over priced item made in China, just because there is a "celebrity" attached to it. Seriously, it's insulting.

I agree...just the other day they were advertising Martha Stewart fashion...and i kept thinking why can't they get some of the good brands of clothing (Sag Harbor, LL Bean, Koret, Easy Spirit, Nike, etc)    instead of these unknown brands that are endorsed by "celebrities"

Honored Contributor

I agree with the posts.  I wonder how someone is labeled a celebrity, star.  I would venture to say the standards have lowered because many people do not fit the bill and haven't earned the title.  I have nothing against Dancing With the Stars but when I see the lineup I don't even recognize names or why they are in the star category.  I know it is just a word but it is loosely thrown around and covers a multitude of people in a category they don't belong in.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a sales ploy... hoping the name recognition will sell the product.  Probably none of these so called celebrities even have a clue what they are selling and have are not even involved in the product... just look pretty and hope the audience will make an association that is not there.  But it must work or they would not do it. Somebody is buying.