Honored Contributor

Re: For Those of Us Who Choose NOT to be on Facebook

On 3/16/2015 Anglophilly said:

Really gets my goat that there is an assumption that everyone has a computer, device, cell phone, etc. Every day some people have to choose whether to buy food or medicine.

For too many, Facebook is a luxury like a Dooney & Burke bag---out of reach.

Good point, Anglophilly. Not everyone has access to a computer or mobile device, unless they use one in a public facility, like a library or school... and I wouldn't want to use those for personal, private information.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Anglophilly said:

Really gets my goat that there is an assumption that everyone has a computer, device, cell phone, etc. Every day some people have to choose whether to buy food or medicine.

For too many, Facebook is a luxury like a Dooney & Burke bag---out of reach.

That's so true. Around here there are lots of people who can't get internet at their homes. It's expensive, and in some rural areas not too far from me, Internet isn't available for those who can afford it.
Honored Contributor

I understand and respect people deciding not to use FB or other social media. But it annoys me when people spout off about how privacy-invading, dull, boring, dangerous, etc. it is when they do not have an account, they are just relating what they have heard or read from others.

FB is what you make of it. Don't want strangers reading things about you? Then configure your page so they can't. All the posts are boring? Then change friends. You control who and what shows up. Annoyed that freebies and deals are only on FB? It's the company's choice to promote that way. They aren't likely to change. I guess it depends on how badly people want the deals.

As far as seeing QVC and host pages on FB - individuals who want to protect their privacy set their pages so you can only see certain things if you don't have an account and "Like" them, true. But any company leaves their pages wide open to anyone who stops by, and I'm sure the official host pages are too. I just signed out of FB and chose to look for a couple of random host pages. I could see everything. So it's not true that you must join FB to see QVC related pages.

Whatever people choose to do is indeed their choice - but it should be based on facts and not second and third-hand misinformation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 3/16/2015 moonchilde said:

I understand and respect people deciding not to use FB or other social media. But it annoys me when people spout off about how privacy-invading, dull, boring, dangerous, etc. it is when they do not have an account, they are just relating what they have heard or read from others.

FB is what you make of it. Don't want strangers reading things about you? Then configure your page so they can't. All the posts are boring? Then change friends. You control who and what shows up. Annoyed that freebies and deals are only on FB? It's the company's choice to promote that way. They aren't likely to change. I guess it depends on how badly people want the deals.

As far as seeing QVC and host pages on FB - individuals who want to protect their privacy set their pages so you can only see certain things if you don't have an account and "Like" them, true. But any company leaves their pages wide open to anyone who stops by, and I'm sure the official host pages are too. I just signed out of FB and chose to look for a couple of random host pages. I could see everything. So it's not true that you must join FB to see QVC related pages.

Whatever people choose to do is indeed their choice - but it should be based on facts and not second and third-hand misinformation.

Based on FACT for me - contacted Facebook to get the details and I am also a lawyer and have had the luxury of consulting some resources that are facts that may not be so obvious. HOWEVER, my point here was that I would like to have some things from QVC posted on the blogs as well as Facebook for those who CHOOSE not be on Facebook for whatever reason. It is a choice. I respect people's choices...