Honored Contributor

Re: For Those of Us Who Choose NOT to be on Facebook

I am not on Facebook but all of the hosts Facebook pages are accessible to me. Have you tried to look? I do not have a problem. Of course seeing just anyone's Facebook page I cannot do. I had one just long enough to find an old dear friend and once we exchanged contact info. I closed the account.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 stevieb said:

I resent it too, but they're far from being the only retailer pushing FB down the throats of their customers and making special promotions available only to those on FB. Besides, you don't have to 'belong' to Facebook in order to visit their pages and to get the information, links or information about deals. I fail to see the point but assume retail gurus think that like lemmings to the sea, we're all sort of mindless and will all get caught up in FB buying frenzies...

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I refuse to join facebook, but every time I clear my browsing history and delete unwanted cookies, I find that FB has somehow attached cookies to my computer! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I'm still trying to figure out how that happens! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Honored Contributor

I am not really enamored by Facebook and use my Facebook Page to connect only with out of state family and a few select friends. However, I do NOT interact with any businesses including QVC or their hosts or vendors on FB. I do lurk and view some Facebook Pages without ever having to log in to my Facebook account.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I hate Facebook. Many of my friends use it as their sole means of e-communication, so if you're not on Facebook then you don't ever see their photos, hear about their events etc. I am not on Facebook, I prefer emails (unless they're spam, which it seems to me is what Facebook is really for).

Honored Contributor

I enjoy Facebook. I keep in touch with people that I otherwise would not know about. I don't think QVC should have the hosts talk about FB all the time on air. There are lots of people that do not participate, and it is continually pushed.
Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 PenneyT said: I think that Facebook is just another modern retail technique/requirement. It's popular with many people, and the Q would look outdated if they didn't have a Facebook presence, the same way people would be surprises if they weren't online or didn't have online shopping.

Many people choose not to be on Facebook for numerous reasons. My particular reason is the lack of adequate privacy protection. Of course I know that this is a must for retailers. All I am saying is that they could also post on their website.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/9/2015 PenneyT said: I think that Facebook is just another modern retail technique/requirement. It's popular with many people, and the Q would look outdated if they didn't have a Facebook presence, the same way people would be surprises if they weren't online or didn't have online shopping.

Many people choose not to be on Facebook for numerous reasons. My particular reason is the lack of adequate privacy protection. Of course I know that this is a must for retailers. All I am saying is that they could also post on their website.

They ask that one "join them on Facebook" because it is a way to measure viewer/customer interest, etc. They 'sweeten the pot' by offering specials that require one to 'like' them, or whatever. Just like calling for more information, signing up for email coupons, etc.; offering the same info on the website would defeat the purpose.
Honored Contributor

I don't see a broader and more effective use of their website as defeating the purpose. There's really no reason the same things can't appear in more than one place if the goal is to reach more people.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I agree. I have a FB page, but rarely post. I am sick of it's intrusion into every aspect of my life. If I even look at an item online, ads pop up. I just couldn't stand their constant privacy changes, etc. I don't want to broadcast my life. I think Q should give others the same opportunities as those who live on FB.

Honored Contributor

Facebook started out with the purpose of helping people connect with one another. It has morphed into an over-used and commercialized entity. I have refused to jump on that bandwagon.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~