Occasional Contributor

Re: For Those of Us Who Choose NOT to be on Facebook

I am one of those who choose not to be on social media due to privacy issues but hate the way most host's "push" this Facebook issue, it is so aggravating.

Occasional Contributor

On 3/10/2015 KailaS said:

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) is from another planet. LOL

This is so intrusive and imposing, I would change doctors. I would pick a doctor who respect's an individual's freedom of lifestyle without social media.

Esteemed Contributor

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) is from another planet. LOL

I find this very hard to beleive. I would double check to make sure that you have not misunderstood your doctor.

Valued Contributor

Consider setting up a Facebook account with a fake name.

That's what I've done. That's what lots of people do.

Put absolutely no information on it; just a name. No-one in the world will ever know that it's you and see your personal business because you haven't put it on there.

It's completely private but lets you access all these pages.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't Facebook and never will. What's it all about anyway? Self aggrandizement. I don't give a flying fish what anyone else like or dislikes, especially strangers.

I know how to go out and meet people and interact with them in person. The way a mature and well mannered person is supposed be.

It's also no strangers business to know my business. That's the American way - Privacy!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I have facebook. I rarely post. I don't know why some people have to post what they cooked for dinner or tell everyone they are going on vacation. However, I choose not to do this but am still part of facebook.

However, I found that there is a very good reason to be on facebook. If you currently are having surgery as in a Prophylactic Mastectomy, there are groups, in particular one very special one, that has been great. I learned so much, what to look for, what to expect, what to do and not do. I got an excellent education on the subject.

In fact, going through my PBM, I had another issue come up. I wondered if there was a group for this. Surprisingly, there was. I have insurance where I have to use an in house doctor, so I asked if anyone had my insurance in this particular area and could recommend a particular surgeon. I lucked out. The administrator had my insurance and recommended her surgeon. I had the surgery and everything turned out great.

There are good uses for facebook. And I have to admit, I have had private conversations with old classmates which will probably only happen that one time, but it was amusing and a blast from the past. I've reconnected with old friends, someone who almost was my sister because our parents were dating way back when.

One doesn't have to go all out with facebook but it does help with knowing what's out there. After all, you are using the internet to shop on line. Facebook and maybe twitter might not be too far within your realm.

Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

I just occasionally shop here on the Q. I live in L.A. which has a very busy port. Everything comes through this city. I don't need the Q. The only convenience is that is comes to my home, that's all. I can go out and purchase the same items and better at local stores.

No, I won't be using Facebook, Twitter, etc. anytime soon or at all. Just not me. I am not so full of myself like so many others who want to post this n that and it's all manufactured or exaggerated. And I don't need others knowing what I'm 'into' or what I'm doing. It's not anyone's business unless I share with them in person. I know where to find my friends and I've kept up with those I care about. I'm content not using the social media avenues.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 icezeus said:

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) <em>is</em> from another planet. LOL

I find this very hard to beleive. I would double check to make sure that you have not misunderstood your doctor.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. Facebook is far from secure, and I believe it would be unethical and illegal for a medical professional to place our personal medical on Facebook itself. If the information resides on a separate, secure site and the site requires access via Facebook as the portal... that's different, but still seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Really gets my goat that there is an assumption that everyone has a computer, device, cell phone, etc. Every day some people have to choose whether to buy food or medicine.

For too many, Facebook is a luxury like a Dooney & Burke bag---out of reach.

Honored Contributor

Facebook in general? It's a tool that can be used well or not so well, just like any tool. I keep very little actual personal info there (my account has my name, but no photos of me, no address, no phone number, the birthdate is inaccurate, etc.), I use an email address that's different from my principle address, and I have all the settings as private as possible. My "friends" are actual, real-life friends and family. It's been a great way to keep in touch with people around the world, I've gotten back in touch with schoolmates and old friends, and as Doglvr said it can be a great resource for specific groups and information.

Regarding the original post: Unless I'm missing something here, you really don't need your own Facebook account to access all the comments and pix on the Q's public pages.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova