Super Contributor

Re: For Those of Us Who Choose NOT to be on Facebook

There are benefits and consequences to every action and decision that we make for ourselves.

We then have to live with the results.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) is from another planet. LOL

Honored Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP! I hope QVC listens.

New Contributor

On 3/9/2015 jackthebear said:
On 3/9/2015 PenneyT said: I think that Facebook is just another modern retail technique/requirement. It's popular with many people, and the Q would look outdated if they didn't have a Facebook presence, the same way people would be surprises if they weren't online or didn't have online shopping.

True

except they spend too much on screen time with the Social Media during the shows, I don't care what movie, Jane from LittleTown just saw. Talk about what you are selling!

I agree with everything you say.

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 KailaS said:

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) is from another planet. LOL

This is the first l've heard of a doctor requiring his/her patients to be on Facebook. That sounds pretty unreasonable to me. I hope this doesn't become a trend, because then I'll have to change all my doctors!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 handygal said:
On 3/10/2015 KailaS said:

My job does not allow me to be on Facebook. Interestingly, I have a doctor--young and new--who requires patients to sign into personal medical information via Facebook accounts. I have tried to explain to the doctor that not everyone is on Facebook. I might as well have told him that I was born on Mars. I guess to someone in his mid 30s, someone my age (almost 68) <em>is</em> from another planet. LOL

This is the first l've heard of a doctor requiring his/her patients to be on Facebook. That sounds pretty unreasonable to me. I hope this doesn't become a trend, because then I'll have to change all my doctors!

I am sure HIPPA requirements would NOT allow that.

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 handygal said: Facebook started out with the purpose of helping people connect with one another. It has morphed into an over-used and commercialized entity. I have refused to jump on that bandwagon.

Actually FB started out as a bullentin board for college students. Back then the college males would post pictures of the prettiest campus girls, girls who they want to "date."

The females did the same as above. Then things started getting a tad too messy.....naming names on who wouldn't put out, the ones who did (if you know what I mean), who was NOT out of the closet, ugliest girl, etc.

After about a few years, the FB inventors wanted to clean it up to make the site more family friendly. FB at the time was in competition w/My Space & My Space was winning until they got caught up w/the pedophile scandals. Now the pedophiles have moved on over to FB.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I have several friends older than me that are not computer savvy. What is going to happen to people like this when you "must" be on FB, pay bills electronically, etc.? I do e-mail, etc. on the computer (and post here), but don't care to be on FaceBook at all. I wish QVC would not do so much social media and use the time more wisely to give us more information about the items they are selling. The FB "hosts" could take over other tasks. If there is too much social media, I change the channel.

Honored Contributor

Mz, thanks for the info about Facebook's early days. Interesting!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

I won't join, don't want my business out there for the world to see. And I hate when companies have contests or free samples and the only way to enter or get the sample is via Facebook.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call