Honored Contributor

Re: FOOD SHOWS EXPENSIVE

[ Edited ]

In general, I do find the food items overly expensive.  Hubby is always calculating the price per piece.  But, if you look at it as how much would you pay for that item in a restaurant, it's not so expensive.  I do occasionally buy a food item.  Mostly, I get the St. Clair Sides if I like the combination offered for Thanksgiving/Christmas and for me it's a bargain because it just reduces the stress and I probably would spend that much if I tried to duplicate those dishes.  I have tried local, Cracker Barrell, grocery stores that offer pre-made sides, none of which I liked.  I happen to actually like the St. Clair sides, although I won't order if a broccoli dish is one of the sides.

I wouldn't order anything that requires dry ice to ship right now.  I also don't use EZ pay although I really wish QVC wouldn't make that the default.

Respected Contributor

When I purchase food items from QVC, it's usually because of the convenience and packaging or if I want something special to serve guests. I used to buy Cheryl's Cookies from the Q or on their website and, since I'm not a baker, they're not something I could duplicate myself for less money. I love Rastelli's burgers and haven't found anything in our freezer sections of local grocery stores to compare. I've been online for cakes before and find their prices very much in line. Shipping & handling is "free" but don't we all know that cost is figured in to the items? I live in a relatively small town and many of the items they sell cannot be ordered and delivered locally. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a food buyer (both health and quantity reasons for the most part), but I can also say I will most likely not spend any QVC money on either makeup or jewelry or home decor items. Even winter clothes and shoes are off my buy list.   

Note that if QVC were to eliminate what I don't intend to buy, they would most likely be out of business within a month.   Yet, even with all the categories in which I buy seldom or never, I still manage to have multiple items on EZPay virtually 12 months of the year and some items on AD, too.

Honored Contributor

I tried steaks from Q about 20 years ago. They were so bad that I haven't bought any food from Q since and don't plan to. 

There are so many places that ship or deliver food from local stores to specialty retailers. Most of them are less expensive than Q. If you go directly to the vendor's site, there are often deals or promo codes that make the price less than what Q offers.

I found a local market that buys meat from farmers in my midwest farming state (not from big corporate farms) and the prices are more than reasonable. They also offer tasty/tender chicken and have an outstanding deli. 

I order seafood from a fishery in Alaska. The prices are comparable to most local grocery stores but the quality is 1,000 times better.  Their shipping is expensive so I order just once or twice a year so I can get enough for free shipping. I love and eat a lot of seafood.

Honored Contributor

I order a lot of food.

I feel I DO get a good value and excellent quality and it is very comparable to such services as Schwann.

I never presume to tell people how to spend their money.

Trusted Contributor

Of course the food is expensive.  You are paying for someone else to make it and bring it to your door. 

I think some convenience products are totally worth it.  I pay for Walmart to grate my cheese and put it in those nice 2 cup zip top bags.  I pay for Rhodes to make cinnamon rolls and freeze them so I can bring them home to bake.  I pay for Dole to put all the ingredients together in one bag for a chopped sunflower seed salad.  You have to decide for yourself what you are willing to pay for.

Super Contributor

Costco, Sams, larger grocery stores offer much of what is presented on the food shows at way better pricing. QVC obviously continues to make bank on those items, if not they'd stop selling them. 

Regular Contributor

Most local grocery stores deliver so you can shop locally. 

Regular Contributor

I think we should buy from  our local businesses. It is not a statement on what you do with your money

Regular Contributor

I wasn't telling you how to spend your money.  Just an observation and suggestion.