Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really have to eat everything?

If I was a host and had to taste mustard or sour cream I'd try to find a way around it.

GAG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   No raw meat either for me. Cook that meat, folks ! Enough to make you go vegan

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not watch the gourmet food shows any more; the food behavior displayed by some hosts and vendors is simply not watchable for me.  I check the guide for gourmet food shows, then look on line to see what products are offered since I do purchase some food products. 

Valued Contributor

People give their opinions and hopefully QVC will get a little flavor of how customers feel.  Hosts on food shows need to sample what if offered but they do go a bit overboard with facial expressions and squishing the food.  I think QVC is pricing itself out of this category.  $10.00 for one chicken breast, $30 for five small bags of nuts...too expensive considering how much is available at a local market.  Some old  favorites like perfect gourmet southwest tilapia are gone.  Martha Stewart hot dogs never came back and they were the best I ever tasted.  But that is another issue.  To me a poster should give their thoughts and opinions without a bunch of responses telling that poster to change the channel.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand why they do it, but when they squish an undercooked steak until the blood runs out, it just turns my stomach. 

I confess, I watch the cooking shows mainly to catch the bloopers - the stuff that sticks to the pan, the presenter hopping from one appliance to the next to catch the demo'd food before it's too late, the cake that falls apart.  And, like another poster, I would die to see a spit-take because you know there's been times when a host has tasted something that positively did NOT taste as good as their face reflected.  Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

People give their opinions and hopefully QVC will get a little flavor of how customers feel.  Hosts on food shows need to sample what if offered but they do go a bit overboard with facial expressions and squishing the food.  I think QVC is pricing itself out of this category.  $10.00 for one chicken breast, $30 for five small bags of nuts...too expensive considering how much is available at a local market.  Some old  favorites like perfect gourmet southwest tilapia are gone.  Martha Stewart hot dogs never came back and they were the best I ever tasted.  But that is another issue.  To me a poster should give their thoughts and opinions without a bunch of responses telling that poster to change the channel.

@Gabidog  You are so right.  I have seen Jayne, Leah, Jill, Mary Beth, Pat and I'm sure I have missed some, take a bite, eat before they talk and calmly give their impressions about the food. 

They don't roll their eyes, frantically flail their arms and yell to get their point across.  There is no need to jump on the food and reach over everyone to get a piece and then talk w/their mouths full like they haven't eaten in a year!

And yes, no need to scold someone for having an opinion.  That gets old and condescending.

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 - I totally agree with your post, and I, like the OP, do find some of the Gourmet Holiday shows unnerving due to the behavior of the hosts. AP and RB really need to sit down and watch what they've been doing lately—they both seem like reasonable people who would be open to additional training or constructive criticism on taking smaller bites, being a little less dramatic in their reactions, and doing a better job of describing the products they're selling.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@alarmclock.  Please quit watching food presentations.  You take them way too seriously.

Please refrain from telling me what to do.

Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Some people purposefully tune in knowing full well they will react the same way other people react to watching train wrecks and fires, horrified and mesmerized, then they want to talk about how they felt.  A way of staying in touch with themselves then with others through their "interest".

And some people might be interested in making a purchase ~

WHICH IS THE OBJECT OF THE PRESENTATION.

When the presentation becomes unwatchable, guess what happens?

No sales.

Not sure where your insight comes from but it's not a very broad outlook.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

If I would see a host taking only one small bite I would think it must not be that good.   How bothersome is this that OP would make a first post!!???  I probably wouldn't order something if that is all a host did.  As for squishing - that's a way to see how tender or soft and the texture is.  It's a food show and not eating  - well they might as well just show a picture of the food and not have the real thing!!!  

Breaking something apart to show the inside or the overall texture is quite different than squeezing the guts out of something.

Not to mention, seeing the food get trapped under fake fingernails really ups the game.

Yummy.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Yes, they do have to eat everything.  It's a food/cooking show and part of the job.  

Nope.  Levine was dieting and doing food shows and did not even sample things.

Certain hosts also never seem to do food shows even though it's "part of the job".

Not going to say names or speculate on here because some won't be able to handle it but I think most people can figure out the few hosts that I am referring to.