Super Contributor

QVC offers many wonderful sweet treats.  I notice that very few of the vendors who offer these  sweets on QVC, offer a sugar free option, as well.  II know that Cheryl's cookies does, but I really have not seen others.  I am sure that many of us have loved ones in our famiilies who are diabetic, and when we enjoy desserts, we would like to provide something for those that cannot have sugar, as well.

QVC Customer Care

@txskies

I think that is an excellent suggestion - will certainly provide your feedback to our vendor liaision group. 

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

As a diabetic you need to not only eat sugar free - you need to read the label and see how many carbs and how much fat is in the item. Generally , items that are sold as sugar free are often very high in carbs and/or fats. Otherwise, they have no flavor. Just eating sugar free does not cut it for diabetics.

Honored Contributor

@txskies wrote:

QVC offers many wonderful sweet treats.  I notice that very few of the vendors who offer these  sweets on QVC, offer a sugar free option, as well.  II know that Cheryl's cookies does, but I really have not seen others.  I am sure that many of us have loved ones in our famiilies who are diabetic, and when we enjoy desserts, we would like to provide something for those that cannot have sugar, as well.

It is an excellent suggestion as long as those ordering understand that an item being "sugar free" doesn't mean carb free, and doesn't mean a diabetic can eat all they want of it - it's not a "go for it!" solution.

I do think many well-meaning people who don't know anything about diabetes but have friends and relatives who are diabetic believe "it's all about sugar" (and only sugar), but not so. There are other major factors to consider.

And - as many threads and poofed "diet bullies" posts attest, "artificial" anything in food is routinely slammed on the forums every day. If QVC starts selling "No Sugar Added" foods, the diet crusaders will have a field day freaking out over QVC "poisoning" people by their offerings.

So I agree, a nice idea in principle, but -

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetic Options

[ Edited ]

@txskies wrote:

@txskiesCheesecake is relatively easy to make with artificial sweeteners. A lot of desserts, however, do not translate well without sugar. Fresh fruit is always welcome. And a lot of diabetics can have a few bites [ using their meds ] of the real dessert being served. 

What a thoughtful host you are!Heart

Honored Contributor

Not to be a further Downer, but -

I personally don't feel foods should be labeled as, or described as, "sugar free." When speaking of most foods, but especially anything involving fruit as many desserts do - foods contain natural sugars. You can't take natural sugar out of a fruit or vegetable.  So a "no sugar added" apple pie doesn't have sugar used in the ingredients to sweeten the filling or bake the pie, but there is a fair amount of sugar in apples, so you could never claim "sugar free", only "no added sugar." And the pie crust will be made with flour, which contains carbs as sugar does. Cakes are also made with flour=carbs=bad for diabetics.

No Sugar Added products are useful, and a good thing to have available, but they need to be viewed in perspective.

Respected Contributor

A wod about Cheryl's cookies.  The sugar free version is very nice, when used sensibly with a Diabetic friendly diet. However, the offering contains quite a few cookies with nuts. Doesn't make them bad, but many people are allergic to nuts and the offering would be greatly improved if those with the nuts are replaced by someething without.

Frequent Contributor

You also need to be aware of sugar alcohols that are in sugar free foods    
Sugar alcohols are one type of reduced-calorie sweetener. You can find them in ice creams, cookies, puddings, candies and chewing gum that is labeled as "sugar-free" or "no sugar added." Sugar alcohols provide fewer calories than sugar and have less of an effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) than other carbohydrates.
Examples of sugar alcohol are:
Erythritol
Glycerol (also known as glycerin or glycerine)
hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
isomalt
lactitol
maltitol
mannitol
sorbitol
xylitol
Even though they are called sugar alcohols, they do not contain alcohol.
Advantages
Foods with low- or reduced-calorie sweeteners can have fewer calories than foods made with sugar and other caloric sweeteners. That can be helpful if you're trying to lose weight or even to prevent weight gain. These products often times also have less carbohydrate which can be helpful in managing blood glucose levels.
Low-calorie sweeteners are useful for adding extra flavor or sweetness to your food, with few if any extra calories. In addition, these sweeteners are useful for reducing calories and carbohydrates when used instead of sugar in coffee, tea, cereal and on fruit. You can experiment with your own recipes to include low-calorie sweeteners.
Disadvantages
When you're considering foods with low- or reduced-calorie sweeteners, always check the Nutrition Facts on the label. Many of the food products containing these types of sweeteners still have a significant amount of carbohydrate, calories and fat, so never consider them a "free food" without checking the label. By comparing the calories in the sugar-free version to the regular version, you'll see whether you're really getting fewer calories.
You'll also want to compare the fat content of the labels. There is often more saturated and or trans fat in sugar free baked products.
Sugar alcohols can have a laxative effect or other gastric symptoms in some people, especially in children.
Some people prefer to use the regular version of a food and cut back on the serving size instead of buying the sugar-free version. Consider price as well. Sugar-free versions often cost more.

Super Contributor

Note that many products are now using stevia as a sweetener.   It is related to erythromycin and erythrosorbate.  Personally, I have a bad reaction to it.

Honored Contributor

It's difficult for those who want to include diabetic friends and family members in celebrations and special treats. They need to be aware of at least some of the info in this thread; hopefully the recipient knows it and more, and the gift can be used wisely, with both informed buyers and informed eaters.