Super Contributor

Re: DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

They can say what they want about polyester "breathing" but it just is not true. Synthetics do not "breath." They make you sweat if the outside temperature is over 75 degrees. You body heat gets trapped in there and it is extremely uncomfortable. They sang the praises of polyester bras when they stopped putting cotton in those but it is still not true! Polyester is made from plastic mostly. The other synthetics are no better.

The marketers are always going to lie. When they started making margarine they told everyone that it was better for your heart than butter which is also a lie. They loaded it with vegatable fats that will clog an artery much faster than butter.

When a big corporation wants to sell something they just tell their puppets in Congress and the Senate and the road is cleared for them. They they start brain washing the public to believe a load of ******.

Yes, some synthetics are nice but don't try to say that they are cooling. No they are not. If you think that wearing a plastic suit in 80 degree temperatures is cool then be my guest. That shape wear that they sell us is another example of a true sweat suit.

Honored Contributor

Re: DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

I agree with @Kachina624 and @eadu4.

I've been replacing some of my cotton polos and tees with poly versions (from LandsEnd and Hanes).  

Cotton just absorbs the moisture and prevents it from evaborating and cooling.  Cotton just gets damp and soggy and makes me even more uncomfortable.  

I still buy cotton, poly, rayon and acrylic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a page online "why is sportswear made of polyester."   

What really happens here is that polyester all the moisture (in this case, the sweat produced by your body), it doesn’t retain it in its fibers (because it has low water regain value).

Instead, it transfers it to the outside where it evaporates quickly, leaving your activewear totally dry.

This is unlike what happens in cotton…it absorbs all the sweat and retains, making your garments feel bulky and uncomfortable.

You can google to get link.

Honored Contributor

@ellietoo   I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Add me to the group of those who don't mind wearing good polyester and poly blends during the summertime—if a top is made well and fits well, the fabric really does allow your skin to breathe and does not block breezes at all.

My big complaint is this: Where in the world are all the short-sleeve blouses this year? It seems like the designers at the Q and at other retailers are still bringing in more and more long-sleeve blouses even with the temperatures starting to climb. (There are plenty of short-sleeve tees around, but I need something nicer for the office and actually always prefer the structure of blouses.)

Contributor

@ellietoo polyester has never breathed! If it's blended with cotton, then it will breathe. Thanks for getting it!

Contributor

@Kachina624 I was speaking for myself and those who are of the same opinion. 

Contributor

@ellietoo we,or should I say, I should add nylon into the mix as well! Non-breathable fabric too. 

Honored Contributor

@Joyfulheartnmind wrote:

@Kachina624 I was speaking for myself and those who are of the same opinion. 

@Joyfulheartnmind

DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

This doesn't seem to indicate it was just your opinion.  Sounds like a statement of fact. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
QVC Customer Care

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 found this, so maybe it is fact: Polyester doesn’t let your skin breathe like cotton. For instance, if you wear a polyester shirt in the summer, you might find yourself pretty sweaty. That being said, there are many performance wear polyester products specifically engineered to wick sweat away from your body, but it really only works if the fabric is skin tight. If you buy a low-quality product, you’ll notice a weird after smell.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Effie54   Good poly takes and keeps color better than many cottons, but all fabrics come in various grades and I dislike cheap cotton just as much as I dislike cheap polyester or cheap wool blends.

As for what any company SHOULD do, I don't really know, but I do know that I WISH we would see a variety of choices all year.  For many months while my northern friends are buying sweaters and coats and hats and scarves, I am buying close to nothing.  

I totally hear you! Yup, cheap cotton is the worst! A couple of weeks ago, I bought a denim and Company V-neck top, all cotton. I ended up giving it to the Salvation Army. It was so cheap, and scratchy, I didn't even try it on. It was a final sale. I learned my lesson on that.