Contributor

DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

So many cute maybe-I'll-try-it clothes but then I see that they are polyester which is NOT Southern South friendly. Between the heat and humidity, polyester is not an option! I know it's a cheap fabric to use, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for some natural fabrics: cotton, linen or blends of natural fabrics that BREATHE! All with a touch of spandex, of course, for comfort!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

This is a reason that I have bought items elsewhere who sell linen, cotton, and seesucker. It's really humid hot where I live and  I just can't wear some fabrics during the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DESIGNERS...Please, less Polyester for summer clothes!! POLY doesn’t breathe!

I can't agree more! I can't stand polyester clothes. A little spandex for stretch I'd fine, but the Susan Graver polyester tops are not good! It must be much cheaper to make in polyester than cotton. 

Respected Contributor

I think folks are comparing "your grandmothers polyester" to modern fabrics.

Polyester is a popular fabric used in workout clothing and activewear because it is lightweight and breathable. But is polyester breathable, really? Yes – polyester is breathable; it’s lightweight and water-repellent so moisture on your skin evaporates instead of soaking into the fabric. Does polyester make you sweat, or  remove sweat? Technically, no. But because it’s not absorbent, the sweat doesn’t absorb into the fabric, it evaporates quickly.  Not the case with cotton, which absorbs and doesn't evaporate quickly.

Honored Contributor

@Joyfulheartnmind    Please speak for yourself and not the rest of us.  I'm a fan of polyester and happily wore it through West Texas summers.  If it fits correctly and is not worn tight, it floats away from the body and is no hotter than any other fabric.  It doesn't need ironing and launders beautifully.  It comes in lots of weights, so don't buy a fabric intended for winter to wear in summer. 

I will not buy fabrics that must be ironed! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Effie54   Good poly takes and keeps color better than many cottons, but all fabrics come in various grades and I dislike cheap cotton just as much as I dislike cheap polyester or cheap wool blends.

As for what any company SHOULD do, I don't really know, but I do know that I WISH we would see a variety of choices all year.  For many months while my northern friends are buying sweaters and coats and hats and scarves, I am buying close to nothing.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know where you got this quote, but I agree with it.

I live in the subtropical deep South.  I only wear good quality poly & poly blends.

@Bhvbum wrote:

I think folks are comparing "your grandmothers polyester" to modern fabrics.

Polyester is a popular fabric used in workout clothing and activewear because it is lightweight and breathable. But is polyester breathable, really? Yes – polyester is breathable; it’s lightweight and water-repellent so moisture on your skin evaporates instead of soaking into the fabric. Does polyester make you sweat, or  remove sweat? Technically, no. But because it’s not absorbent, the sweat doesn’t absorb into the fabric, it evaporates quickly.  Not the case with cotton, which absorbs and doesn't evaporate quickly.

Honored Contributor

All I know is I love Kim Gravel's woven polyester.  No wrinkling, and it washes like a dream.  It's light and airy, far cooler than any other fabric in my closet.  

Super Contributor

It is sad to say but everything is going polyester or some other synthetic fabric. Synthetic fabrics are too hot for the summer and almost impossible to sleep in. It is, of course, cheaper to produce a synthetic (made mostly from plastic) than to grow cotton, spin it, and make it into clothing. Everything is about making things cheaper these days. We are not reaping the benefit though. The prices do not go down. The prices continue to go up even though almost everything we buy is made in countries with no labor laws and no environmental regulations either.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm with you on this.  for me 100% cotton doesn't breathe.  It retains sweat, shrinks and wrinkles.   I will not buy 100% cotton items, I appreciate a poly blend.  No wrinkles or shrinking and to me it's much cooler.