Contributor

Curious - What demographic is used to determine the 'type" of purchasers we are?

I appreciate the Q - honestly. However some of the representations of products and their retail value don't match up to what I see when shopping (even on line). I want a slower presentation from the hosts and vendors because I am hard of hearing and can't catch everything they are saying. Why the rush? From reading customer posts I see how very intelligent and wise they are; so wish the Q would speak to that during the presentations. My purchases are mostly linens and I am extremely happy with the quality. Northern Nights is my preference. I have sheets that are several years old and look great. So, I would appreciate slower more intelligent presentations. Please don't make the host the main ingredient during presentations. Thank you, Iris

Respected Contributor

Re: Curious - What demographic is used to determine the 'type"" of purchasers we are?

Hello, Oldlady. Smile

A few on the forum have said that QVC's demographic are women who are in between their 40's and 70's, retired and usually have disposable income. I know that's not true for all, but that's what I've read on these boards.

But then there are times when it seems like QVC is trying to draw in a new audience with a younger crowd and I guess the fast talking types appeal to young people...I think?

I'm actually not always sure which type of audience QVC is trying to reach.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Re: Curious - What demographic is used to determine the 'type"" of purchasers we are?

NC B.-- I agree with you about the demographic the Q has had, versus what they're currently looking for. The fast-talking hype is aimed at attracting a younger, "hipper" customer. The only problem is, those folks don't shop off of t.v., nor do they have a high disposable income, IMO. So it's a bit confusing.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I can guarantee you the under 40 set buys on line, but not from the shopping channels. The Q can be as hip as they want, the kids just don't care, they know what they want and where they will spend money and it's not the Q. Or if they do buy, they are not the kind of repeat customer the Q has to rely on to exist.

Honored Contributor

I think there's the demographic they have, you know, in reality... and then there's the fantasy demographic... the one they wish they had... It seems things are done based on that fantasy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Mary Beth Roe - retirees

Shawn Killinger - Justin Bieber demographic

Dan Wheeler - insomniacs

David Venable - Barney lovers

Honored Contributor

Hi Oldlady---NC is correct, in an interview QVC's CEO said

"I'm hesitant to put a label on her, because she's very diverse. Our customer is a 35- to 65-year-old woman with a somewhat above-average income, The sweet spot of the household income level for QVC goes from $50,000 to $250,000."

"Twenty-five years ago, we pioneered the testimonial call, when the customer calls into the show to say, "I really like and used this product." Today, she might be sending a tweet to us about a product or guest, which will appear on a scroll live on screen during the broadcast. She might be using her PC and tablet to engage in a Facebook chat about the program, or asking us questions on Facebook or QVC.com, which we might answer live on the air. We're using all of the technology to engage that customer."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/10/05/ceos-corner-qvc-mike-george-on-the-shopping-channels-big-pl/

And by use of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Mobile Apps) QVC thinks they are attracting the younger demographic......I think the 35 yr old range is stretching it....I would put it at 45 and beyond....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Contributor

Well I knew I would get intelligent responses. So far it simply sounds like the Q is stumbling around trying to hit "the mark." This is as I guessed. Oh well, I will continue to mute the programs and try to get info in the forums or customer reviews.

I appreciate your comments. Keep them coming {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Oldlady-- l just have to add-- l love your screen name. It makes me smile. You must have a great sense of humor!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I have heard them say ... baby boomers.