Frequent Contributor

I do not mind paying shipping costs, but what I do mnd is paying shipping for every item in my order. So many times I will not order because you charge shipping for each item going to the same place. I have never seen an online store do this. You will make more money if you just charge one shipping for the entire order. You are losing customers because of this practic.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree.........sometimes I buy "bulk" - order 2, 3 or 4 things from Orvis or Penny or Pendleton and (if all are in stock) they arrive in one big company bag.  Shipping is based on the total weight - which gets less expensive after the basic rate is met.

Q's policy is just another source of income.

Honored Contributor

I think I'd win the bet if I wagered money that every company going has someone monitoring S&H costs and trying to figure out how it works best for them.

I know it's a mantra here on the boards to complain QVC profits on the shipping, but I can't even begin to decide what would be best for QVC.  Obviously for buyers like you, @Fionna, they should charge a different way -  probably not just one of the current shipping amounts but with something added to the extra items for handling.  Then apparently some people would buy more.

For buyers like me, it's unlikely to change my buying habits much at all.  Even in the years when I spent thousands of dollars on QVC-type retail, I could count on my fingers the days when I bought more than one item and I wouldn't have needed all 10.

Do we even know which kind of buyer is more prevalent at QVC?  That has to be something corporate knows, but I've never seen any company revealing that kind to secret!

Esteemed Contributor

I also have paid  (and very recently too) shipping for 3 SEPERATE orders that were all shipped in 1 huge box.

````` and BTW  Valeries Glass Trees were all shiped together too even though they were all ordered on different days  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

the great shipping debate. I don't think you can make everyone happy, ever. 

the only thing that would make the customer happy is free shipping and free returns, all the time. 

Respected Contributor

I ordered 2 different items from VPH on a recent CIJ day.  Charged $5.50 for each item. They sent both items in one big box which is fine, but the return label is $8.95, not $6.95. What if I want to return one thing, now to use the label its $8.95 because of the size of the box?  It is a small item!!  If they want to combine orders, then they need to change their return policy and charge less per item.  This policy of theirs is not fair to their customers.

Respected Contributor

I bet they would get so many more orders if they always had free shipping and returns. Or at least free returns!

Honored Contributor

Here's an example of where the Q is losing customers, such as myself: Dooney and Bourke handbags.

Why would someone pay around $13.00 for shipping a handbag, when she could order the same bag from the company's website--or a department store site-- and get FREE shipping??!!

And then, to add insult to injury, if the handbag doesn't meet expectations, the return postage would bring the cost to try out a handbag to about $20.00!!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear

Free Returns will never happen.  Too many people would take advantage.

What I believe they need to do is offer free shipping to any customer of theirs after they spend a certain amount in a year.  My favorite store for clothing does that, if you use their credit card and spend a certain amount, then you get their premier card and get free shipping and free returns.

I tend to buy more online when I have free shipping!  QVC needs to do something to reward their steady customers.

Respected Contributor

@handygal2

You are so right!  The shipping on handbags is crazy!!