Esteemed Contributor

Re: Celebrity Vs. Designer Vs. Salesperson

@Daffney wrote:

Is it possible that certain "hosts" seem to believe they are, in fact, celebrities?  Were they not employed by QVC, they would not be hobnobbing with designers  who  consider them a means to end, and rightly so.  This is business.  Ask any host that has left Camelot.  QVC, however, seems to encourage their feeling of self-importance.  Now, these hosts are designing clothing!  What expertise do they have?  It is truly an insult to true fashion designers who have trained and worked at their trade for decades.  The hosts'  "designs" are no different than any other, a flannel shirt is a flannel shirt, denims are denims; and the prices are the same as the "real"  designers.  I am beginning to think it is a generational thing including the executives at the helm.  It appears that from Shawn and Leah (the elders) down, there is a "new day dawning".  

@Daffney wrote:

Is it possible that certain "hosts" seem to believe they are, in fact, celebrities?  Were they not employed by QVC, they would not be hobnobbing with designers  who  consider them a means to end, and rightly so.  This is business.  Ask any host that has left Camelot.  QVC, however, seems to encourage their feeling of self-importance.  Now, these hosts are designing clothing!  What expertise do they have?  It is truly an insult to true fashion designers who have trained and worked at their trade for decades.  The hosts'  "designs" are no different than any other, a flannel shirt is a flannel shirt, denims are denims; and the prices are the same as the "real"  designers.  I am beginning to think it is a generational thing including the executives at the helm.  It appears that from Shawn and Leah (the elders) down, there is a "new day dawning".  

Yes, @Daffney some of them do think they are celebrities. I agree with you they are not designers. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jinlei wrote:
Other than Dennis Basso and Isaac Mizrahi, do the rest of of these celebrities even know what they are talking about? They let all the real designers go. All they have left is ‘wanna be designers”, selling cheap junk.

I have really missed the Linea line of clothing and jewelry. I love Louis Dell’Olio's Whisper Knit sweaters. i also miss George Simonton. I have, however, bought some lovely items this year from Jason Wu's line on QVC, and am very pleased with his designs. 

Esteemed Contributor

The way they have their own Blogs, fans and followers helps to enforce the "celebrity", "star" attitude many seem to have.