Contributor

Celebrity Vs. Designer Vs. Salesperson

Is it possible that certain "hosts" seem to believe they are, in fact, celebrities?  Were they not employed by QVC, they would not be hobnobbing with designers  who  consider them a means to end, and rightly so.  This is business.  Ask any host that has left Camelot.  QVC, however, seems to encourage their feeling of self-importance.  Now, these hosts are designing clothing!  What expertise do they have?  It is truly an insult to true fashion designers who have trained and worked at their trade for decades.  The hosts'  "designs" are no different than any other, a flannel shirt is a flannel shirt, denims are denims; and the prices are the same as the "real"  designers.  I am beginning to think it is a generational thing including the executives at the helm.  It appears that from Shawn and Leah (the elders) down, there is a "new day dawning".  

Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrity Vs. Designer Vs. Salesperson

Agree.  There are only a couple of true designers on shopping channels these days.  I guess all you need is a "name" and a "team" and you too can be a "designer"  Truly a joke!

Trusted Contributor

So, what is your suggestion--to turn back time?

Seriously, I'm sure shopping channel hosts know the game. If they make the most of their somewhat limited career, why shouldn't they?

Changes in the shopping channel realm pale in comparison to changes outside that bubble. 

Honored Contributor

@Daffney Amazing that your posts have a similar theme. 

Respected Contributor

this is a shopping channel

for the masses

whatever selling spiel of the moment.....is just that.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Contributor

I knew a better time for this shopping channel;  obviously, it has passed.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DaffneyI doubt that the egos of fashion designers are so fragile that they'd be "insulted" by hosts invading their turf. They're used to competition (as you say, fashion is a business). From what I've seen, designers tend to be pretty "self-important" themselves.

Trusted Contributor

@Daffney wrote:

I knew a better time for this shopping channel;  obviously, it has passed.

There are too many options now for QVC to be back to what it was in 1990.  The entire world has changed.

Plus, there are always customers asking what hosts are wearing and may like their style.  So if the hosts have a chance to bring a little of their own style to the product mix, why is that an issue?  It's a small part of the business.  

Esteemed Contributor

Is the about the Studio Park line? QVC is having eight host collaborate with in house designers to come up with a fashion line.

No big deal.  Some QVC viewers really enjoy the hosts and this is a way to sell merchandise.

I don't think Dennis Basso or Isaac Mizrahi are/or should be offended.

I don't see Shawn or Leah as an "elder" that would Mary Beth or Jane Treacy.

And Leah was one of hosts who has presented a line. @Daffney 

Trusted Contributor

Other than Dennis Basso and Isaac Mizrahi, do the rest of of these celebrities even know what they are talking about? They let all the real designers go. All they have left is ‘wanna be designers”, selling cheap junk.