Occasional Contributor

CLINICAL TRIAL PARTICIPANTS ?????

I want to see the actual number of people who participate in these clinical trials.

Especially all these skin care lines.

You could do a clinical trial of 5 people and it could come out to 100%.

QVC you need to back up these claims .

Super Contributor

Re: CLINICAL TRIAL PARTICIPANTS ?????

I have looked at the fine print for some of these "trials" they mention and they are ridiculously low - like 10 or 12 participants.

Respected Contributor

Yes and how old were the participants?  What issues or problems, if any, have the participants experienced?.  What about a "control" group?  Remember that from science courses?  Remember statistics courses too?  Numbers are easy to play with and can prove just about anything you want them to prove.   As usual, be a good consumer.  Do the research.  Buyer beware.

Esteemed Contributor

Listen carefully when they talk about their clinicals. Some conduct their own testing, while others hire independent labs that have to maintain a reputation for scientific accuracy and objectivity.

Valued Contributor

@VioletV wrote:

I want to see the actual number of people who participate in these clinical trials.

Especially all these skin care lines.

You could do a clinical trial of 5 people and it could come out to 100%.

QVC you need to back up these claims .

if you are referring to the beauty industry, for the most part they aren't regulated and they don't have to submit anything to the fda. they may do a day or week clinical trial with up to 40/50 people, but that is about as far as they go. never mind the fact that to do a clinical trial is EXPENSIVE ! ! !

and i noticed that some beauty vendors don't know the difference between a clinical trial and a perception study, 'cause they constantly mix the two up. they should just stay out of that lane of conversation.

for other industries, like medicine,  or some safety devices, the clinical trials are done on a large scale for the most part and can take years to complete  just one phase of a clinical trial.mainly because you have to wait and see what side effects people get.

think about the stories you hear on the news from time to time when they say a drug made it thru the first phase of a clinical trial, but that they won't have more details for another 2 or 3 years and at best it won't be ready for sale for at least 5 years. that's an indication that they have at least one more phase to go thru. it's grueling ! ! !  been there, done that.

Honored Contributor

There is not such thing as clinical trials.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

A proper clinic trial in a hospital is managed by the a research department and registered.  The MDs and participants are vetted and discussed at monthly reviews.  I know.

These skincare items are a joke.

Occasional Contributor

anyone else notice that they use the same before and after pictures for different products from different brands????