Honored Contributor

I look but just to see how many stars an item has.  I just want a general idea of customer opinions.  I never read actual reviews because I don't know the people who posted reviews.  I don't know if they even own the item.  It's personal opinion and you have to take anything said on faith.  I don't have much faith in anyonymous statements.  But, I do look at presentations and I do my measurements and I do know what fit looks best on me and I only buy shoes and clothing from 4 or 5 vendors.  So, I pretty much know what I'm getting.  I rarely have to return anything.  I think that 5 day rule gives HSN time to verify that the person reviewing an item actually bought  that item.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would love it if a reviewer had to fill out a pre-checklist (for lack of a better word) before writing/submitting their review, including "what color did you get; what are your chest, waist, and hip measurements; what is your height; what size did you get."

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

@millieshops just on a side note...I used to do a lot of shopping years ago with HSN...and now lately I've done a little more and I have to say, I've bought several sets of sheets (LOVED them), a Travel Smith Voyager Vest (strongly like) and a couple pieces of Jay King Rose Quartz pieces (like)...and their Customer Service blew me away. The sheets went on sale a week or so later and they refunded the difference without question. They had the travel vest listed as two items - same colors - but a limited amount of them were listed $10 cheaper. The color I wanted was sold out at the sale price, so I ordered the item under the full price #. I called them and they immediately credited my account the difference in price. Then on Jewelry, HSN had a code for $5 off per item if it was over $25 and I didn't see it when I placed the order (not use to looking for discount codes), but the next day I called - not expecting anything, but was hoping - and they credited me the $5 for both items. No hassle. Great Customer Service will get my business every single time. Lands' End is another one for great Customer Service.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Super Contributor

@Marp Amazon allows unlimited editing...and comments and questions of the reviews. It's extremely helpful.

In regard to reading reviews, I'll first check out the low reviews to see if there are any valid (to me) reasons for the low score. I'll discard any review that seems petty, or unrealistic expectations...or just seem "off".

I'm looking for a sense that the reviewer is trying to be helpful by providing things like sizing and fit (I measure and wear a size 9.5 Med shoe and that's what I ordered and this boot runs short), color (the red is a blue tone red), skin care (it broke me out, scent was unpleasant, saw no changes after a month), makeup (it settled into fine lines, broke me out, I'm fair and these colors seem more warm toned). 

It's simply thinking about WHY it worked for you or not and then sharing these thoughts. Details matter. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I would love it if a reviewer had to fill out a pre-checklist (for lack of a better word) before writing/submitting their review, including "what color did you get; what are your chest, waist, and hip measurements; what is your height; what size did you get."

My main problem is when people comment about the sizing.  Just because a medium fits poorly on one person doesn't mean it won't fit another medium.  Perhaps one has a larger bust than I do  but other measurements are the same.  They will often only say "garment too small" but that comment alone  won't help me determine if it will fit my individual body measurements; Perhaps that particular person needs to order according to the bust measurements provided rather than always go for a size medium. But then it may be too large in the other body areas.; there are a few who realize this and post accordingly.

In short, I think the comments above could help solve the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@1MrsT wrote:

@millieshops just on a side note...I used to do a lot of shopping years ago with HSN...and now lately I've done a little more and I have to say, I've bought several sets of sheets (LOVED them), a Travel Smith Voyager Vest (strongly like) and a couple pieces of Jay King Rose Quartz pieces (like)...and their Customer Service blew me away. The sheets went on sale a week or so later and they refunded the difference without question. They had the travel vest listed as two items - same colors - but a limited amount of them were listed $10 cheaper. The color I wanted was sold out at the sale price, so I ordered the item under the full price #. I called them and they immediately credited my account the difference in price. Then on Jewelry, HSN had a code for $5 off per item if it was over $25 and I didn't see it when I placed the order (not use to looking for discount codes), but the next day I called - not expecting anything, but was hoping - and they credited me the $5 for both items. No hassle. Great Customer Service will get my business every single time. Lands' End is another one for great Customer Service.

Their Customer Service is to be lauded.  That's about where it ends with HSN.  They give scant information about the products in many cases and lie every chance they get to sell some jewelry.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

I now read all reviews regardless of stars because there are some people who give 4 or 5 stars to the designer but they did not like the garment.  "I have a closet full and have been a customer for.......".   To me we are reviewing the product, not the designer.  If you love the item and have to return because of your body proportions please say so.  If the garment itself has a problem please state what the problem is.  The buyer is looking for true to chart size, quality of material, is the color as presented, etc.  We often do not get this information from the hosts.  I do give Angel credit for the information she gives.  Almost always she reminds us her garments are short not petite, states her size and did she go up or down, she will ask the models for the same info, etc.  Most Quacker is not my style but I watch to get actual size info on the models.  I am 5'4" and XL in most clothes.  I do not wear fitted.  Angel is 1 of the few people who is close to the average size.  If I am looking to put on wish list all models are great but if buying I need as much info as possible as the 2 charts provided aren't always accurate.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind where the reviewer bought an item, as long as they bought *and used/wore it*, or if it was a gift, that the recipient *told* the reviewer what they thought.

It might help SOME (nothing will truly wipe out stupid non-reviews) if, when a person clicks on "write a review" a very obvious, unmissable message comes up that says something like "DO NOT REVIEW this item if you have not purchased it AND used it" so they can't avoid having read it before they start.

It would also help if QVC would delete these reviews when they're reported, but as it is, reporting them is a waste of time.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My reaction to that HSN message:  to heck with it, I'm not returning to this product again.  I move on.  When I get a new piece of jewelry, I know instantly if I like it.  It doesn't take me 5 days to decide.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@1MrsTGlad they  have improved.  My issue always is with what they sell.  I didn't like the quality of much of anything I tried.   I had several pieces of jewelry that were poor, a skincare kit that smelled so awful I couldn't even use the creams on my feet or legs, and even Joy's huggable hangers haven't held up nearly as well as the cheaper version I bought at Costco.