Frequent Contributor

Beauty IQ Suggestion for Mature Viewers

I have been trying to watch Beauty IQ for a while now.  The problem is one of the hosts in particular (Courtney) seems to talk to her audience as if they are ALL either of High School or early College age.  Then her vendor (tonight it is Mally) jumps on that same band wagon with the “loud/childish” talk!  

Don’t get me wrong...I like and buy Mally products.  My suggestion is:  1). Maybe Qvc could devote an hour Beauty show to their more mature viewers...who don’t need or appreciate all the “shouting”.  2) I would really appreciate MORE mature women starting with a bare face and showing the Vendor’s product on them.  I’m talking about everyday beauty/skin products. Your younger audience would still see the same products, it would just be less “hyper”.

I like “laughs and giggles” just as much as the next person!  However, when I am looking for a beauty or skin product, I want to understand how to use it, what ingredients are in it, that r beneficial, if any.  I Really would like to see the product on a 60+ yo woman...not just a 20 or 30 yo.  Yes, I know every once in a while you have a more mature woman (on the main channel shows).  What I am suggesting is time actually “devoted” to your mature beauties on Beauty IQ.

Thanks for listening.  I know you have “target audiences”, but I believe you may be missing an opportunity which would be greatly appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty IQ Suggestion for Mature Viewers

I agree and find Courtney a bit annoying. 

There was one video in particular where I was interested in some Tarte lipsticks and Courtney never once mentions the names of any of the colors.  Instead she poses for the camera making silly faces and discusses with the model & vendor what their boyfriends & husbands like...PLEASE stop and tell us about the product & colors!

Esteemed Contributor

That's why I like watching Laura Geller.......seems like she presents to all ages....

Respected Contributor

I think that it is a specific intention of QVC that Beauty IQ appeals to younger women.  That's the target audience.

And I agree.  It would be great to have a beauty hour on QVC designed for older women. 

Regular Contributor

I agree HisGrace. When I was much younger I would occasionally go to Macy’s, Kauffman’s, Dillard’s, etc for facials and makeup demos. Now that I am older I prefer the comfort of my own home. I buy a lot from Ulta and they have a very good return policy. I would probably buy more makeup from QVC if there were more makeup shows geared to mature women.  I think I know what I like but sometimes what I like does not look good on me or doesn’t suit my skin type.  And after decades of wearing makeup I still sometimes need to be shown how to apply some products—like eye shadows to get that smokey effect and highlighters,etc.  Certain colors and products I used over the years no longer work.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for your input ladies!

i was thinking possibly Alberti would be a good host for this audience.  He seems to ask great questions and keep the vendors more focused on talking about their beauty/skincare product and how to properly use them.

i look forward to more positive comments!  Thanks again.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't watch that channel, my provider doesn't carry it.  Courtney would do a much better job with any product if she toned down her laughs.  Her laugh can be a bit loud.  When I turn the volume down to deal with her loud laugh I can't her the vendor,which is what I need to hear.  She seems to use her laugh as a form of punctuation out of habit, not because anything is funny.

Honored Contributor

I think they should have a host of a "mature age" in order to speak to those who are facing the same ageing issues regarding skincare and makeup that ALL women are going to face as they age. What works for someone in their 20's and 30's rarely works for someone 50 and up (there are always exceptions, of course).  I often wonder why there are no women over the age of 30 on that channel UNLESS they are the rare vendor.

Ageism at its most obvious.

Trusted Contributor

Not just Courtney, Elyse giggles and acts silly & childish more IMO. They should have a mature host & shows for those that can't stand this behavior.

Frequent Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I think they should have a host of a "mature age" in order to speak to those who are facing the same ageing issues regarding skincare and makeup that ALL women are going to face as they age. What works for someone in their 20's and 30's rarely works for someone 50 and up (there are always exceptions, of course).  I often wonder why there are no women over the age of 30 on that channel UNLESS they are the rare vendor.

Ageism at its most obvious.

Excellent suggestion Sahmlam!  I would love that!