Respected Contributor

Re: Bait and Switch Pricing...QVC PLEASE FIX THIS

@pigletsmom wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Can we agree this is a little bizarre though? If they want to re-air a show it seems like the pricing should be clear on the screen. Although even that's not perfect. What if you're sort of half watching and you hear them say a price and go online and see it's something else?

I think if you're filling time you should probably just keep the price. Seems like there should be a way to do these shows that they know will be repeated so there's no confusion. If you walked into a store with sale signs and they had a sign up that said "By the way, the sale signs might not be correct so please check with the cashier" that would be nuts.

I don't buy a lot but it seems to me that pricing is one of the things that drives people to actually make the step to start an order. Going to the website and finding you missed out on a big sale doesn't seem like it would sell much.

I think anyone that sees that the show is previuosly aired would understand, adulting 101.

Well sorry, but it seems like a stupid way to run a business. I assume they don't really expect a lot of sales because clearly the price is going to be higher if it's different.

"Hey look at this cool item and the price you could have gotten it for" doesn't seem like a great ad. 

Changing the graphics shouldn't be a big deal. And again I assume they know what they're going to repeat so why not just keep the price. It's bizarre. And they need a second channel for this?

Simple solution, dont watch. I have never heard anyone complain about this before so I thnk most understand.

Honored Contributor

It seems some love to accuse QVC of "bait and switch", even when it doesn't apply.  (Not the first, nor even the tenth time we've seen this accusation and it's never once been true.)

If you can see the screen and read what it says, there's no underhand tactic being employed.

Respected Contributor

Sorry folks who are lambasting me..

Been watching QVC for centuries and I KNOW they have that disclaimer on the QVC2 and QVC3 reruns that "Prices and Inventory May have changed"....

BUT....On Sept 15, the part that was MISSING on the price box was this sentence which is usually there:

"Price shown on screen is what you will pay" ( Paraphrasing here).

THAT sentence has appeared in the price box on the reruns for ages.

So the bagels shown ( For this example's sake) said 39.00, and "prices and inventory may have changed"....

No "Price on screen is price you will pay".

Called to order, order was 42.00. ( Food in PA is not taxed and QVC ships food free).

I told the operator that that was NOT the price on the screen. She seemed confused.

Anyway, NOW I notice that second sentence is back:  "Price on screen is price you'll pay" ( Paraphrasing).

Maybe it was just one day. 

I said forget it and cancelled the order, but it's on my order status page. Haven't gotten them yet or been charged, but something was messed up.

Maybe "bait and switch" is not the term, but you know what I mean.

I'm over it.

QVC IT department is not all it could be for such a large company.

Honored Contributor

It's a rerun. That's what happens when you watch something that's already been shown live. It's no different than watching the rerun of any tv show.  

It's up to you to check the current price. 

Honored Contributor

No matter what price is on the screen, the current price will be when you go to order.  It's up to you if you want to follow through with the order or not.  

Bait and switch is an entirely different thing and does not apply in this instance.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe QVC makes it very clear when this happens and is totally understandable.  All we need is something else plastered on the screen, then we wont be able to see the products being sold.  I think QVC knows that most of their viewing audience is some brains.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Can we agree this is a little bizarre though? If they want to re-air a show it seems like the pricing should be clear on the screen. Although even that's not perfect. What if you're sort of half watching and you hear them say a price and go online and see it's something else?

I think if you're filling time you should probably just keep the price. Seems like there should be a way to do these shows that they know will be repeated so there's no confusion. If you walked into a store with sale signs and they had a sign up that said "By the way, the sale signs might not be correct so please check with the cashier" that would be nuts.

I don't buy a lot but it seems to me that pricing is one of the things that drives people to actually make the step to start an order. Going to the website and finding you missed out on a big sale doesn't seem like it would sell much.

I think anyone that sees that the show is previuosly aired would understand, adulting 101.

Well sorry, but it seems like a stupid way to run a business. I assume they don't really expect a lot of sales because clearly the price is going to be higher if it's different.

"Hey look at this cool item and the price you could have gotten it for" doesn't seem like a great ad. 

Changing the graphics shouldn't be a big deal. And again I assume they know what they're going to repeat so why not just keep the price. It's bizarre. And they need a second channel for this?

@pigletsmom    Changing the graphics apparently is a big deal or they'd do it.  The programming on Q2 is unique on TV, there's nothing else like it. Usually the price differences are small and probably don't deter people.  I'm sure they don't have fantastic sales but it must be paying for itself.  At least it's something to watch in the middle of the night.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment