Respected Contributor

Bait and Switch Pricing...QVC PLEASE FIX THIS

I noticed on the rerun previously recorded shows, the prices are NOT updated for the new prices....still showing the TSC or OTO price.

They used to have a new box over the old price with the new higher price in it. 

YES there is a box saying prices and inventory have changed, but to what?

I went to order the NYC bagels the the other day and the price on my order was higher than that on the screen. 

That's not right QVC. 

In fact, it's deceptive. I bet many people don't realize the change in price.

Put te CORRECTED PRICE BOX back over the expired price like you used to.

And also....work on lining up the price box with the item being shown on the rerun show.

Many times they are hawking one item while another item is shown in the price box.

Come on QVC. YOu can do better.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Bait and Switch Pricing...QVC PLEASE FIX THIS

[ Edited ]

It's been common knowledge that the price of an item shown on a previously aired show may be less than the current price.  As you said they even warn you about this right on the screen.  For the current price call or go online.  It's hardly bait and switch.

Mistakes occasionally happen on live TV.

Respected Contributor

A.). Not bait and switch

B.)  When you went to order you were informed what the current price would be

C.). Nothing deceptive 

Trusted Contributor

It says in the Terms of Service, "QVC reserves the right to discontinue or change specifications and prices on products and services offered through the QVC Services without prior notice and without incurring any obligation to you." Also, "If you do not want to be bound by these Terms or policies, do not use OR ACCESS the QVC Services."

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen    You need to Google and read the definition of "bait and switch".  The example you cite isn't it.

There is a disclaimer on Q2 advising that prices may have changed.  Everybody knows they're a reruns of old shows.  If you can't adjust to the possibility that prices may have changed, don't watch.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Can we agree this is a little bizarre though? If they want to re-air a show it seems like the pricing should be clear on the screen. Although even that's not perfect. What if you're sort of half watching and you hear them say a price and go online and see it's something else?

I think if you're filling time you should probably just keep the price. Seems like there should be a way to do these shows that they know will be repeated so there's no confusion. If you walked into a store with sale signs and they had a sign up that said "By the way, the sale signs might not be correct so please check with the cashier" that would be nuts.

I don't buy a lot but it seems to me that pricing is one of the things that drives people to actually make the step to start an order. Going to the website and finding you missed out on a big sale doesn't seem like it would sell much.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Can we agree this is a little bizarre though? If they want to re-air a show it seems like the pricing should be clear on the screen. Although even that's not perfect. What if you're sort of half watching and you hear them say a price and go online and see it's something else?

I think if you're filling time you should probably just keep the price. Seems like there should be a way to do these shows that they know will be repeated so there's no confusion. If you walked into a store with sale signs and they had a sign up that said "By the way, the sale signs might not be correct so please check with the cashier" that would be nuts.

I don't buy a lot but it seems to me that pricing is one of the things that drives people to actually make the step to start an order. Going to the website and finding you missed out on a big sale doesn't seem like it would sell much.

I think anyone that sees that the show is previuosly aired would understand, adulting 101.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Your comparison with a store makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

I noticed on the rerun previously recorded shows, the prices are NOT updated for the new prices....still showing the TSC or OTO price.

They used to have a new box over the old price with the new higher price in it. 

YES there is a box saying prices and inventory have changed, but to what?

I went to order the NYC bagels the the other day and the price on my order was higher than that on the screen. 

That's not right QVC. 

In fact, it's deceptive. I bet many people don't realize the change in price.

Put te CORRECTED PRICE BOX back over the expired price like you used to.

And also....work on lining up the price box with the item being shown on the rerun show.

Many times they are hawking one item while another item is shown in the price box.

Come on QVC. YOu can do better.

@Othereeeen   Wait...what?  You state you clearly saw on the screen, on a pre-recorded show:

"YES there is a box saying prices and inventory have changed, but to what?

I went to order the NYC bagels the the other day and the price on my order was higher than that on the screen."

What else could the statement prices have changed mean?  It's up to you if you want to order, to confirm the price at checkout, and make your decision if you want to buy it or not.  Higher, same, or lower -- prices change.   It did tell you "but to what" at the current item page and at checkout -- before you click submit order. 

I think updating the price over the old price in the pre-recorded show was a bad idea anyway.  At times, the price is shown but the price changes once again to something else. So there was an original price, changed to another price, and by the time someone puts it in their cart, another change in price.   Now that's confusing.  My bet is that's the reason they stopped putting the changed price on the screen in the repeat show.  

There's no bait & switch.

Trusted Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I think anyone that sees that the show is previuosly aired would understand, adulting 101.

Well sorry, but it seems like a stupid way to run a business. I assume they don't really expect a lot of sales because clearly the price is going to be higher if it's different.

"Hey look at this cool item and the price you could have gotten it for" doesn't seem like a great ad. 

Changing the graphics shouldn't be a big deal. And again I assume they know what they're going to repeat so why not just keep the price. It's bizarre. And they need a second channel for this?